PowerMac G5 2x2Ghz or iMac G5 - which will las longer? Buying Advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by notheremuch, Sep 11, 2005.

1. notheremuch macrumors member

I am in the market for either a PMG5 2x2Ghz or an iMac G5 20". Mainly, I am interested in upgrading the monitor size from my current iMac G4 17".

The plan is to either get the PowerMac with the Apple 20" display OR the iMac G5 2Ghz and an iBook12". (Let me worry about the math)

I don't need the iBook today, it is more of a surf the net in the kitchen type device, or for inspecting photos on vacation.

Since I am at the tail end of the G5 cycle, for the next 3 years or so, which option is best? I am a PS Elements hobbyist, 80% internet and a massive picture downloader and editor. The PowerMac feels like overkill, but if it will be more vesitile longer....

My instincts steer me toward the dual system - the iMac and ibook combo. It's just that the two give me doubts about real system life for 3 years or so versus the PowerMac.

Lastly, and this may help my decision, is the Apple 20" display on par or equal to the iMac G5 20" display??

Thanks and sorry for the quick typing!

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well, I think the fact that you would have a mobile computer on the second option is nice, so that would probably push me in that direction.

However, if that isn't a concern of yours, I would go with a Powermac. They are such impressive machines, and the 20-inch ACD is beautiful. I have one (the display, not a PowerMac), and I love it. From what I understand, the panel in the 20-inch ACD is the same as the iMac, but there is a different backlight in the ACD, which makes it potentially a little better/brighter. Some will also claim that Apple might choose less flawed panels, for the professional cinema displays, but I don't know, if that is true.

3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

If you don't really want or need the iBook, I would also go for the PowerMac. If you want to know which setup will last longer, it's the PowerMac without a doubt. For one thing, you are getting a dual processor system and one that is much more upgradable. You could put a new video card in there or upgrade the RAM/hard drive pretty much as much as you wanted. Also, it would be a possibility to upgrade to a new system down the line and keep your existing 20" ACD. With the iMac, you'd have to replace everything.

4. switchr92 macrumors member

Go w/ the powermac

it's worth, it, trust me. It will last at least 3 years, if not more, vs. the iBook & iMac combo might not (cramped space/no expandability). As long as it isn't nessecary to have portability, Powermac hands-down. Good luck!

5. notheremuch thread starter macrumors member

The iBook is really for comfort (wireless around the house) more than anything else. It gets me out of the home office and changes my working environment.

You see, it really is a problem!

6. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Powermac. You can choose what screen size you get. When it gets too small and you want to move up to a 30" ... you can! Seriously though... it's more about "component" vs the whole package. You get a lot more freedom with the powermac than being tied to one package with the iMac.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The PowerMac hands down is your best choice for future resistance and durability.

The 2.3 GHz model is actually the sweet spot in the PowerMac lineup.

The 2.3 uses the PRO motherboard with the faster 133MHz buss PCI-X
    expansion slots. The PRo motherboards allows up to 8 GB RAM

The newer Rev C 2.0's use the Prosumer motherboard previously used in the dual 1.8's with the standard 33MHZ PCI expansion slots.This configuration limits you to 4 GB RAM.

While this machine is still far better than the Single processor 2.0 iMac G5
    you'll be better off in the long run with the 2.3

OR an older Rev B 2.0 refurb that still uses the PRO motherboard.
    You can pick up a Rev B refurb for $1649 at the Apple Red Tag Sales
    online, but they are going FAST.

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

A Dual 2/2.3 Powermac g5 in my opinion would be the best choice. It would last the longest compared to the others, and can be upgraded a lot more than the others.

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

The powermac option..
    You could get it and a cheaper screen and save a little more to get the ibook.

Or get the powermac now with the apple screen. Next year, get an intel ibook when you have the money.

10. Euan macrumors regular

11. jkandell macrumors member

No flames please, but if you'r only need for the ibook is "just to get out of the homeoffice", how about a really cheap Dell windows machine for about $700 14.1" screen with wireless? That's what we do. The Powermac is a much better main computer than Imac--and I bought an Imac. I wouldn't compromise that just for an ibook.