PowerMac G5 and Dell Wide Screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bozola, Nov 16, 2004.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

2. JRM macrumors member

Yes, but you'll bring the G5 to shame using a Dell

3. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I just ordered one of these. I really wanted the Apple display for the look, but after seeing how much better the Dells specs are, I had to buy it. I just would not spend more for a display that was not as good. But, man that cinema display is beautiful.

4. Bozola thread starter macrumors regular

So.. I would be interested in your opinion of the display... and also.. I was wondering how you would use this display with your 20" Imac!

Thanks!

Bozola

5. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

As soon as I get it, I will let you know and I will post pics. Oops, I need to change my sig, I just sold my imac and ordered a powermac. :D

6. Bozola thread starter macrumors regular

So I would be interested why you sold your G5 Imac and bought a PM....
    :)

7. Stallion macrumors newbie

What is the refresh rate? If he is planning on playing games, it better be at least 16ms or better (lower). Other than that, looks like a great monitor. If Dell's standalone LCD's are as good as their laptops, then it will be a great monitor.

8. Bozola thread starter macrumors regular

12ms... is that good?

9. Bozola thread starter macrumors regular

After further research.. This monitor kicks every spec of the Apple 20 inch monitor, brightness, contrast, refresh rate, price!!

10. JasonL macrumors regular

It definitely looks like a great monitor for the price to me. If Apple zealots want to spend an extra 50% on a monitor that isn't any better (besides aesthetics) let them have at it.

11. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Gamers Do Not Equal Professonalism

It really depends on what you are buying the monitor for. Sounds like you are buying for games. Then yes, you may want a PC monitor at 16ms, or a PC for that matter. If you are interested in the best that graphic design or color calibration has to offer, then you buy the mac and the cinema displays. Gamers aren't considered "professional" users, as is why the PM was created. I have a Mac and PC, and wouldn't consider using my PC for business, and I built it for what its capable of. Seems like if you want to play games, you can buy yourself a cheap 400 dollar Emachine or XBox. If you want professionalism, then go with the Mac. Know the difference before you buy.

12. Bozola thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I am not looking at it for games, but video editing and photo apps. The specs on the Dell just seemed bettter compared to the Apple display and at 2/3 the price. I was wondering 1) if it worked and 2) what drawbacks there might be.

13. jcru macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've been eyeing the Dell LCDs for a bit. This 20" Dell looks nice. I have a PBG5 and 20" Apple Cinema and love it. But I really want dual-monitors and while having 2 20" ACD would be the best....it's just too expensive!!!

Maybe I'll ebay my Cinema and get 2 of these Dells.

14. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

TOO damn loud. I never thought I would sell an imac for a powermac because of a noise issue? :eek:

15. betsbillabong macrumors regular

There's a review of this monitor I found on the web this past week:

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=28363

Actually, I see that's its sister monitor, the non-widescreen version. I think they must be similar, though.

Also, you should know there have been sporadic special deals on it (the widescreen) for as low as around $600 shipped. If you're thinking of buying it, check places like dealmac.com each day, you might get a good deal.

16. Devie macrumors 6502a

As in my sig, I'll be getting one of these with my PM :D.

17. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Mine arrived! I am very happy with this monitor. I will definitely say that the whites are much whiter than my old cinema display. I was a little hesitant to order it because I love the Apple display, but, I have no regrets.

Attached Files:

18. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Thanks for the pic! I really want one of these for my Powerbook. I hope you enjoy it!

19. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hopefully Apple will lower their prices to be a little more competitive. I used a coupon and paid 689 for this one. Pretty hard to justify 1299 v.689. I think 899-999 and I would have bought the Apple display. Shipping was fast too, they estimated 6 days from the purchase date, but it shipped the same day.

20. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

21. allroy macrumors member

Have the non-wide screen version

I think the wide screen version is pretty ridiculous for any monitor. Widescreen is good for video, and gaming. For me as a photographer & designer I like having the extra vertical height. Anyway for I paid $650 for mine about 8 months ago and think it's money well spent. I had to return the first one because it was defective, no hassles. Second one was perfect no dead pixels.

I have everything (scanner, printer, monitor & papers) profiled and the only compaint I have about this monitor is the anti-glare coating they put on it.

Color banding is comperable to other quality LCD's, there's only one that I know of that doesn't have banding and that's the Eizo CG21 which is $2400 or so.

So it basically comes down to do you use your stuff or just get it to look pretty. I have 2 of the dell's for the price of just over 1 cinema display.

Enjoy!
    -j

22. JasonL macrumors regular

Actually, I'd say that widescreen monitors are not so good for gaming considering that games (the ones I play anyway) don't really support that technology. I'd go with a widescreen if I were going to do 16:9 video, that's about it.

23. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I almost forgot, the monitor has PIP. I did not even notice that when ordering it. You can split the screen, or have a small PIP in different sizes in different locations on the screen. Here are some pics.

Attached Files: