PowerMac G5 and iMac G5 RAM

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zosma, Jun 1, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Looking at the specs for the iMac G5 and the Powermac G5, they both use DDR400 PC3200 RAM. Can anybody confirm if the RAM can be interchanged between the models? I wouldn't want to put in a big order for RAM and not have it work.

2. macrumors P6

wdlove

Crucial is high recommended by the members here on MacRumors. They also have a lifetime warranty. When it comes to memory its best to play it safe. You should select the link above to Crucial RAM and follow the, "Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool." Then you will get the proper RAM for your Mac.

3. macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I got my memory from here.

It is the cheapest place, and the ram works flawlessly.

You are paying for the name with the other stuff. ;)

4. macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I'll second 1-800-4-MEMORY. I've had great experiences with them.

Now to answer your questions, yes (to the best of a my knowledge), RAM is interchangeable between the G5 iMacs and G5 Powermacs

5. macrumors 65816

topgunn

1GB of RAM for the iMac G5 is $130 at that place. Crucial has it for $120. I would go to newegg here where you can get a 1GB stick for your iMac or Power Mac for around $100.

6. macrumors 65816

topgunn

Also, you can use the same memory in the latest iMac, Power Mac, eMac and mini. They all use DDR400 memory.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I assumed you could interchange the RAM, but it's not wise to make a mass order without knowing for sure. Turns out I'm getting a good enough deal that 3rd party RAM won't save me enough to go that route so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

8. macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I don't know where you got the 130 price from, but here is 1gig of iMac memory at the site for $83.

9. macrumors 65816

topgunn

Your link doesn't work for me. I got the price by going to the company's homepage, clicking on Apple, selecting the iMac G5 2.0GHz 20", clicking next and noting the price of $129.00.

I would love to be able to get 1GB of iMac memory for $83 if you could tell me how you got there.

10. macrumors 65816

topgunn

The cheapest I can find any PC3200 1GB RAM sticks at 18004memory.com is just over $100. Am I missing some sort of coupon codes or special deals?