PowerMac G5 as Family Computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tuned MP5T, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

I notice that my wife and daugther spend more time on the Mac mini then on the Dell. I know that the PowerMac is use for video editing, picture editing and high end music stuff. I just wanted to know if anyone is using the PowerMac G5 for a family computer? Another reason is people say the Mac mini is old technology, so I would be upgrading at the same time as well. Can't wait for the specs on the new PowerMac's !!

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

you should get a imac g5 (when new models come out)

3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

You Bet!

Absolutely :D On my Power Mac G5 there are accounts for my 10 year old, my 14 year old and myself. All three of us use it in our own way. World of Warcraft seems to be getting a lot of attention by my boys lately, but it's also used for homework, creativity time in Photoshop and Garageband and just surfing around the net to places like bookadventure.com, or possibly neopets.com. All this fun and not one virus ;)

4. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Best of the Best!

A G5 tower as a family computer is a great idea. If you have some extra cash, then go for it. The G5 towers can be upgraded as time goes on and because you are getting a pro machine.

One good thing to consider is when buying a computer, buy the BEST one YOU can afford at the time. I am about to buy a G5 soon as well. I do admit, most of my time spent on the PowerBook I have now is internet and games. I just want a G5 desktop to save having to connect this poor PowerBook up to a monitor etc every time I go home.

aussie_geek

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I don't see any reason why not, sure it's overpowered a bit, but it'll last a lot longer than the iMac (i bought an iMac about 2 years ago and have become very frustrated).
    Max it out now, and you probably won't need a computer for well over 5 years (or 10!)!

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

As far as the Powermac goes, it all depends on how long you want to keep it, and what you will be doing with it. For a Family a Mini will do almost the same work as the Powermac, but there are limitations of what you can upgrade on it, both internally and with attached devices, the same is true for an iMac, but with the iMac it is newer and faster technology.

If you plan on getting into some freelance or hobby video and picture editing, want your kids to load all of their games, and have space for your wife to use the computer for her needs, you may want to upgrade to one of the G5 equipped computers. If nobody is complaining about the slowness of the Mini, or feeling any limits in regards to performance, you may be better off keeping it in the family, Selling the unused Dell, and buy yourself an imac or second had Powermac.

The Powermac is the Macintosh equivalent (in my eyes much better then) to the Dell Precision workstation. The Powermac is designed for heavy use, and high demands. It can easily handle any work a family would require from it, and it would also let you (and or your wife) dive more into the world of video editing, and heavy photoshop work, better then the Mini, and slightly better then the iMac.

The powermac with support for Serial ATA, PCI devices, and upto 8 GB of memory, can be considered a computer that can last a family a long time if taken care of and upgraded. Many tasks that make computers feel slow, are due to Memory demands, as opposed to actual processor speed. Since the Powermac supports the most memory of any current day Macintosh, it is feasible that you can use it longer with less degrading performance over the years.

840Quadra
    typing this on a Powermac Quicksilver so he is obviously bias :)

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Of course, get PowerMac!

(I wish I could... :( )

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

2 Minis beats 1 G5. Why? Imagine you have two kids...

"But Daaaaad, I want a turn on the compuuuter! Daaaad!"
    "I'm telling mommy. Mommy, he's not being fair."
    "Dear, how many times have I told you? No More MacRumors posting for you!" :eek:

:D

Seriously; life got much better when I gave my wife and son their own computers and email accounts... better for them that is.

A right territorial %*&tard I can be. "Go away. I'm working. Touch that System Preference again and I'll... um... sweetheart?"

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

My family's always purchased the pro machines, ever since our awful experience w/ the Performa (ha.)... And, when it was time for me to go to college, they got me a G5 tower. Oh gosh, do get a G5 tower.

10. tim1978 macrumors newbie

Before the new g5 imacs came out I got a powemac g5 over the imac g4 becauase of rumors of the g5 imac. I use the pm for home use and love it. Having etra power is not a bad thing people buy sports cars to drive not to drive at max speeds. If you have the extra money and think you may use the power in the future or want to keep it for a long time, get it.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A lot of your decision will be determined by what your can afford. The nice thing about the iMac G5 is that you already have a built in LCD. Will also take up less space. The extra money could be used for RAM and software.

12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I think for a family computer, an all-in-one design is better. Just imagine what young children can do to computers.

That being said, I would recommend an iMac G5 or better. You can always take advantage of the extra power someday. If you do end up getting a PM for your family, they should consider themselves lucky.

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

according to your sig you have a 20" acd so i'd go with the single 1.8 G5 tower. if you didnt have a monitor id say imac but...

14. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Lol.

I agree with the idea of getting multiple computers. Perhaps get eMacs unless desk space is an issue. I think when Apple comes out with new eMacs, they will be a much better value for a family. Unless you already have the LCD and keyboard.

15. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I would be using the my 20" LCD. I think I'm going with the PowerMac. I just have to wait and see what updates are coming.