PowerMac G5 Box Size

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mr. Anderson, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, this isn't to find out if I have a G5 wrapped somewhere in my house as a Xmas present.

I'm possibly going to go to the Apple store in Chicago and buy a quad - if they have it and if I have room in my car for the box. The thing is I'll be picking up my mother-in-law at midway and my wife and kid will be there too. So I need to know the dimensions of the box to know before hand if I'll be able to fit it in my Honda Element. If it goes in the back I can always pile luggage on top....

So anyone out there with a G5 box sitting around, if you could measure it that would be great :D

Thanks,

D

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I am at work and don't have the box with me, but the box did fit in the trunk of my Audi A4.

So I really don't think you will have any issue in the Element

3. doumbek macrumors member

The box on my dual 1.8 G5

dimensions : 23" x 23 1/2" x 15 3/4"

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just put ones of those folks on the roof or trunk;) Congrats I know you got to be excited. Could be the last of the PPC Powermacs. never know with Apple.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I brought my G5 home in the '81 Toyota Corolla I had at the time. Not exactly a large car. Of course I didn't have anyone else in the car, and it was sort of a tight squeeze, but you should have no problem with putting one in your Element.

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Excellent, thanks guys - I'm going to go measure the space I have. The thing is, its winter, its chicago, so I can't even strap it to my roof :p

since the depth of the box is only 15 3/4" I'll be able to stand it up in the back and rearrange things if needed. We're also going to bring the Thule Luggage carrier since we're going to make our quarterly trip to Trader Joes and stock up. Needless to say the car is going to be packed :D

Now, all I have to worry about is convincing my wife that now is the time to buy the thing and if the Apple Store even has one of those in stock. We'll see :D

D

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I always thought it was weird when people tell me how lucky I am to have a Trader Joe's just down the street.

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When we were living in Old Town Alexandria (DC) we were those people :D

Trader Joes was on the other side of King St. from us, on our street.

They need to get one in South Bend or Fort Wayne. Driving 2-3 hours one way isn't fun.

D

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

WHATEVER you do, DO NOT strap it to the roof, strap the clothes or the family to the roof :p

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd have my wife drive and I'd ride on the roof before I'd put a new Quad G5 up there :D

D

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Pick me one up if you find you have extra room. :D

Either that, or just leave your wife at home. Tell her I said it was OK.

12. crazysaxchris macrumors member

crazysaxchris

why does everyone I know have to stock up at "trader Joes" ??? I've been there but I don't see what everyone raves about.

Hope the powermac will fit, that will just be a shame if it didn't!

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm not going to get one on Sunday - I'm going to get a BTO and wait until after MWSF - just in case there are some changes (doubtful - but I'd be quite annoyed if there was).

D

14. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The dimensions given above could be larger than the new boxes. The 1.8Ghz were packaged in the boxes that weren't as slim as the new. If that (larger) size fits, you're all set!

15. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    A friend of mine moved to Florida back in February. When she came back to this area to visit she flew in, but decided to drive home, so rented a van for the long trip back to Florida. Why? Well, one reason was so that she could load up with stuff from Trader Joe's. She misses it desperately!

OTB

16. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Whats Trader Joe's? Never heard of it before.

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.traderjoes.com/

really good, cheap groceries.

They have a wide range of things, wine (in some stores), nuts, dairy, cheese, sauces (Thai, Indian, Italian, etc.), breads, frozen items.

Basically they're better than most other stores in many ways and they do carry a few things you might find elsewhere, but their own label usually is best.

D

18. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

How much stuff have you got in that element? With the seats in the way back down, we can throw two kegs in the back of my buddy's element and have room to spare (and 5 if we put down the middle row of seats)...anyway enjoy the quad, we just got some at work and they're beasts

19. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You're gonna have to put that quad in the front seat. with a massaging seat cover. And just think, if your wife divorces you for it and takes half of what you own, you still have 2 processors! :D :D :D

20. generik macrumors 601

generik

The trouble is she might be real mean about it and slice each processor into half... :rolleyes:

21. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

22. generik macrumors 601

generik

Erm, just curious.. is the quad in a physically bigger casing compared to the dual cores or something?

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Not to my knowledge, but someone please correct me if I am wrong....

24. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No, its the same form factor - its just what's inside the box that counts :D

D

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Does it ever! Yeah, there's a slight performance difference between the dual core 2.0 GHz and the quad... not quite the same... :eek: ;)