Powermac G5 buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GlynJones, Jul 2, 2005.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2005
    Finally had a chance to have a proper play with my Powermac.

I've connected my speakers to it and i'm getting a buzzing sound from them even if the volume is set to 0.

Also their is a ticking sound that ticks every second. I've disconnected the speakers for now and I've tried with headhphones and that seems fine.

I've tried different cables and thay all have the same effect. I suspect I need a better quality of cable but I don't remember having this ticking noise when I had my Powerbook connected.

Thanks for any advice given. I hope their is nothing wrong with it as this will be my second Powermac in 2 weeks. I don't really want all the hassle of sending it back.
  2. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2005
    Well having bought a shielded cable still the tick and crackle noise.

Tried allsorts but nothing doing. My old Powermac and Powerbook did not do this so it looks like its faulty.

Will have to ring Apple in the morning. I will not be happy if they say that i've to send it off for repair. I'm hoping that thay will arrange a swap out.

Not a happy bunny at all.
  3. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2005
    Was on hold to Apple Care for an hour before they cut me off :mad:

Read all the horror stories about the problem on the forum. It seems i'm not the only one. Has anyone had better luck using the digital out?
  4. eAspenwood macrumors member

Feb 20, 2005
  5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Do you have your powermac in a grounded socket? If yes, put it in a not grounded socket! Or if your speakers have a powercord on them, plug it directly into a wall socket. Hope this helps!
  6. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2005
    Managed to get through to Apple Care. Told them the problem and they said it was not normal.

They have arranged a swop out so We shall see what happens with the new one.

If that plays up then I'll follow the suggestions given so far.