Powermac G5 dead video card, replacement have to be apple?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by neonovo, Jul 9, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a Powermac G5 with the ATI Radeon x850 XT gpu, which is now as good as dead. My question is do I have to replace the card with an "apple" card that is WAY too expensive for how old/powerful it is, or can I buy a PC card and flash it to make it work?

2. macrumors 68000

Nameci

You can buy a pc card and flash it. There are many guides, you can ask our best friend google.

3. macrumors 6502a

Tucom

Nameci did you ever figure out if that ATI card you had in the other thread was DOA or just a working non-Mac compatible PC card? If the latter then are you gonna flash it for use in the G5? :D

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 68000

Nameci

I don' t have a pc with me right now and I have no aux power cable to plug into it, and to top it all I don't have the rom yet.

I am planning to buy the geforce 7800 gtx 512 mb, but I am still saving for it. Maybe one of these days if I can get hold of a pc I would try flashing it.

6. macrumors 6502a

Tucom

Are you trying to tell me that there wasn't ever an AUX power connected when it was hooked up in the G5? I mean, as I'm sure you'd probably have tried, that could be a reason why it wasn't working at all if it wasn't hooked up to the AUX power while plugged in, or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

7. Nameci, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

macrumors 68000

Nameci

I have the aux cable for mac but the pc requires molex on the other end, am i right? The cooling fans on the card turned at full speed so I am sure there is more than enough power going to the card.

8. macrumors 6502a

Tucom

What card is it exactly? As long as the card is taking in the AUX power from a cable that is correctly plugged in on the G5 motherboard for GPU power, then it should be good to go (unless it really isn't a Mac-compatible card).

Still have the link for the GPU and website you bought it form?

9. macrumors 68000

Nameci

It's an ATI Radeon X1900 GTO. Based on what I have found thru googling it. It is a pc card that is supposed to be flashed. But I think it was not. It flashed I suppose or reflashed.

10. macrumors newbie

I have a great nVidea GeForce 7800GT from my PowerPC whose CPU died. If yours is a Quad-core, this will plug right in, has a Zalman cooler installed and runs video processes most excellently.

If anyone else needs components, I am reduced to parting out my PowerPC Quad core as the CPU/cooling array died and is an inseperable unit. The rest is 100% fine. It was cheaper than the $2450 to replace the hot and noisy CPU with a Xeon based unit. Need parts anyone? Let me know!

11. macrumors regular

I've got a gutted G5 that could use some parts. Do you know if your power supply will work in a DP 2.0? What about your graphics card? I could also use RAM.

12. macrumors newbie

The nvidea GeForce 7800GT card is in great shape and has an excellent Zalman cooler attached (this will take up an additional PCI slot) but runs silent but has a variable speed control. This card is very nice. The RAM is 8 chips of 512k. The power supply should be fine, a tech person from repaiar shop should know about compatibility. In a pinch, I can ask the folks I deal with when I'm not sure. I was told that when the Quad-core PowerPC CPUs dies it was from heat that the liquid cooling couldn't keep up with. I also have the DVD/CD burner but the hard drive is now my Time Machine on the new set-up. All the fans work as well and I do still have the original video card but the 7800 rocks I have to sign of til tomorrow but should you wist to talk business I will make arrangements then - I'll sell quite reasonably as it is only good for parts. Talk/type soon - Paul

13. macrumors regular

TattooPaul,

I tried to send you a PM, but I was not able to. Can you check your settings?

14. TattooPaul, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

macrumors newbie

Just joined, will look into it... found issue - should be resolved soon. I didn't register quite right. WillPM you as soon as it is possible...

15. macrumors 68040

666sheep

^^^ Nothing from a Quad will work in 2.0 DP (maybe except HDD ;)) Even case is slightly different.

16. macrumors newbie

Why does that not surprise me. I guess the internals, from buslines to everything else are different enough to not be interchangeable.

Sorry dummmpty - look like we are SOL unless you have a disabled Quad powerPC, like I do, the parts aren't going to swap... I will look into the RAM though - it may be more co-operative...

17. macrumors 65832

check everymac.com and you both will see, that

Dual-Processor Mac things do not fit in Dual-Core Mac machines and vice versa.

DP .................... vs. ... DC (to which the Quad belongs, too)
    grafic-slot is AGP vs. PCIe
    PCI/PCI-X is PCIe
    Ram is DDR1 3200 vs. DDR2 4200

Or did you mean Dual core 2GHZ instead of Dual-Processor?
    I have a 6800 AGP and 4x 6600 PCIe, which I do not know if they work (cause PowerMac G4 AGP is incompatible. I would send them free for shipping costs, to test. Unfortunately I am in Europe... (shipping would just be 17EUR, but with taxes I guess it is no good).

18. macrumors regular

Yeah, I was going to PM that as to not detract from the OP's question. Can you PM me the power supply part number?