Powermac G5 drive door trouble

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by armchainmstenw, Sep 25, 2004.

1. armchainmstenw macrumors member

Dec 7, 2003
    Today, I was setting up my dad's new powermac g5 at his lab. It's awesome. However, when I was testing the superdrive, the drive door only opened partially, and kept knocking the tray up so that it caught on the upper lip of the frame. It has to be physically pushed down so that the tray can fully extend. Should I have my dad replace it, or is there a simpler way?
  2. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    open it up and take a look, otherwise get Apple to fix it
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    well, you could manually pull the slot all the way open and stick a piece of duct tape across it, so that it stays open all the time. The tape might even blend into the enclosure. Otherwise, call Apple, they might have a quick fix idea or two, otherwise, I'm sure they'll fix it for you or replace it (especially if it's a new machine).
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The Optical Drive is a CIP, so taking it out and reinstalling the door shouldn't be too big a hassle.

I'm sure somebody can point you to a customer solution to the drive door problem, since it happens quite often.

Either due to misalignment during manufacture or shifting during shipping.

Though a Apple Store should be able to take care of it rather quick.
  5. continuum macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2004
    Beautiful Lake Tahoe
  6. ezkimo macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2002
    Mine had the same issue. I pressed eject, pushed down the door, and let the tray slide out and stay out till it automatically went in several times in a row and it fixed itself. Works 100% now. Maybe try ripping some CD or something too.
  7. armchainmstenw thread starter macrumors member

Dec 7, 2003
    Thanks for the replies. My dad is prob just gonna get it fixed at the apple store, cause he wont let me try to fix it.