Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
Is there any way to install a S-ATA drive in a PowerMac G5 computer without using screws? There are none in the bay, and I can't find them on Apple's site (they are probably real expensive anyway)

So, is it possible?

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
I just checked, the 4 spare screws are next to the fan behind the optical drive (so on the left when you look straight at the harddrivebays...)

if you don't have them hmmz was your mac build on a mondaymorning or fridayevening?? because normally the come with them

if you go to a toolshop they probably can give you 4 screws for it (just take one from the original drive to find the right ones)

probably you can just put it in there without screws, the latch will hold it on its place I guess but it will be sitting on the plastic, so see if your drive don't get too hot ;)

its not portable so there should be no problem puting it loose in there, with screws its more secure off course...

J

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
northen said:
Yeah, found them. All the stores are closed now, but i'll be able to buy one on monday and then install it :) Thanks :D

All the stores are closed on a Saturday? It's been ages since I was in Denmark, but is this normal?

northen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
robbieduncan said:
All the stores are closed on a Saturday? It's been ages since I was in Denmark, but is this normal?

Most smaller data/hw stores close at 13 (on saturdays mind you). Larger stores at 16, but larger stores typically sell only PATA drives :/ I could buy a splitter cable, so I get a PATA drive, but... meh :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm glad you found the sliders. Installing the 2nd drive on a PowerMac G5 is the easiest part install I've ever done on a computer, ever. As easy or easier than any RAM installation I've done, and much less potential for problems. Apple did an fantastic engineering job on the case.

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
northen said:
Is there any way to install a S-ATA drive in a PowerMac G5 computer without using screws? There are none in the bay, and I can't find them on Apple's site (they are probably real expensive anyway)

So, is it possible?

Yes, I believe you don't need screws to install the SATA HD. Just slide it in, and turn down a lever to hold it in place. You would need to install the rubber feet on the side of the harddrive so you can slide it in. It also acts as a rubber mount to isolate noise and vibration.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
3Memos said:
Yes, I believe you don't need screws to install the SATA HD. Just slide it in, and turn down a lever to hold it in place. You would need to install the rubber feet on the side of the harddrive so you can slide it in. It also acts as a rubber mount to isolate noise and vibration.
Exactly. No tools required. Two minutes.

Edit: useful link here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.