Powermac G5 dual 1.8? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SkudShark, Jul 27, 2004.

1. SkudShark macrumors member

SkudShark

Hey guys,

Well, I'm stuck, I'm debating selling my big P4 system and getting a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8. Problem is, I have two questions that have me stuck, well, maybe more than two, on we go!

It says on their site that they have 64 bit chips and brag about 64 bit breaking the 4gb ram barrier. Yet, it doesn't say if the dual 1.8 g5's are 64bit or not, and it say sthey can only handle 4gb ram, so.....? Issit 64 bit or not? Their tech specs say all the g5's are.

Secondly, didnt they release a 9700 pro for mac way back? ATI press room said yes but I cant find that card anywhere and the 5200 fx is just too weak for me. Something a bit better is ideal but I cannot afford a 6800 ultra, being in college and whatnot c.c Suggestions or solutions? Only games I plan to play are Halo and UT2k4, but the 5200 is worse than my old ti4200 for pc.

Thirdly, can any ram work in it? Was thinking baout getting gig of Kingston Hyper X from local store, fairly inexpensive.

I'm stuck really, only reason I may part with my p4 setup is windows, and all the fans, I built this crazy all plexxi machine and I'm thinking about settling down some, and being able to sleep at night ;) MAC laptops have great appeal, powerful and small in a great package, but the tower, for $1799 at student price, just seems a bit weak for the money since my current system is worth about that much, I'm just thinking of switching platforms.

It's a tough call, I'm really stuck, I still have a small AMD setup for my PC games, I just feel awkward having such a weak card in the G5 when it symbolizes so much c.c

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Yes, all g5s are 64 bit. The dual 1.8 can handle 4GB, in 4 1gb chips. The older one had 8 slots.

You can order a BTO with either a Radeon 9600 XT 128 (+50) or a 9800 XT with 256 (+350) and not have to go with the 6800.

All the G5s now take PC (or mem) 3200 non-pariy ram. It needs to be installed in pairs, so whatever you get, get 2 of.

3. letterbox macrumors regular

The new Dual 1.8's have 4 RAM slots, and can accomodate 8GB in 4 x 2GB sticks, expensive, but are you really going to put in more than 4GB, or 2 for that matter?

4. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

SkudShark

Oh never, I don't need that much it's just wierd that the specs for the dual 1.8 on apple's site says maximum of 4 gb of ram, but under the thing abou 64bit, it says their 64bit chips can do 8 gb, because they are 64bit. Yet... Tech specs on the 1.8 says 4gb maximum...

Odd?

Oh and does anyone have pics o an explanation of the bluetooth module for it? is it internal or external?

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

They aren't tested to handle the 2gb chips, so thats why apple says a max of 4gb.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the bluetooth module is internal, as long as you order it BTO at the time of purchase.

7. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

SkudShark

So there is no way to get internal BT module after purchase? Darnit.... I already ordered.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Call them up and see if they can modify the order. Apple wants your money :D

Also, be aware that the Dual 1.8 does not have PCI-X. If you (like most PC-junkies) love to expand, this may be an issue for you at a later date. The 4 vs 8 ram slots is also bothersome if you want to add (cheaper) 256MB chips to up your RAM instead of 512's.

9. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

SkudShark

Actually, as for PCI not sure what i would add honestly. I don't think anythign I'd wanna add would use the PCI-x, I mean, maybe a better soundcard if availible, but cideo card really all I care about and maybe extra firewire/USB card. What else is there? What can PCI-X really do for me? Plus I cannot justify spending $2k+ even at education discount on a dual 2gighz, thats just way out of my range. I'm still deciding on whether or not to take the 1.8 I just ordered from campus, they said I'm not committed to it, it's tough tho, I'm so use to windows as my main machine, but I'm open to tryign the Mac, as I love my Powerbook. that and I'm hoping the G5 puts out less heat than my OC'd p4, because my room stays very warm in comparison to other rooms. And of course, I've been told the G5 is silent, I miss quietness in my room :)

10. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Its a shame you didn't post a question on the forums prior to the purchase of the G5. We would have told you to look for a Rev.A G5, as the 1.8's weren't crippled like they are now. Your purchase was a good one, but next time, remember to look on the 'customize your mac' page, and look at the options that you need.

Remember to get your G5 to Fold for the MacRumors team!

11. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

SkudShark

Crippled? How so?
    I'm not bound to this G5, my campus ordered it for me, I'm not forced to take it, it's cool, no shipping costs or requirement to purchase.

And fold? C.c forgive my naiveness, what do you mean?

12. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

They're not really, for some reason people keep making a direct comparison between the old (mid range) 1.8GHz with the new (low end) 1.8GHz.

The old one had 8 RAM slots, PCI-X slots, more RAM and a larger hard drive. Because they're not getting all of these extra features for a greatly reduced price they believe the current model is a piece of ****.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You could check with your campus store, they might be able to install the Bluetooth module for you.

Folding helps medical research and MacRumors.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=21908

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Obviously, you might want to see if you can add BT internally, but it's no big deal if you can't - the BT USB dongle is ~$35 and takes up one USB slot. Bothersome, maybe, possibly, but no big deal. I've got mine plugged into my display, and it's fine. Internal is better, but nothing to lose sleep over.

If you ordered the stock video card, please, for the love of all that you consider holy, alter your order and at least upgrade to the 9600XT. It's the best $50 you can spend (well, less for you with the edu discount).

If you can't afford the bump to the dual-2.0, don't sweat the 4 slots on the dual-1.8. Seriously, for most people, 1-2GB is more than enough. You don't need 4. You certainly don't need 8. By the time you need more than 4, 2GB sticks will be cheaper.

And, yes, the 'old' 1.8's are a better deal. If you can find one, if it's a similar price, etc. Nice to get one, no big deal not to.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nothing of note. You might never add a card, esp. if you use the digital audio out, and don't require a sound card - and even then, good ones can be had for PCI.

You'd see minimal performance gain with the dual-2. More RAM slots, that's about the only real difference that you'd notice.

Well, I can't promise that it will put out less heat. It probably will. But it will be quieter, unless the whole room is really hot, in which case the massive number of fans will at least keep your CPUs from frying. Normally, my dual-2.0 is silent - or at least very, very, very quiet.

And I do hope you take the 1.8 - at least, a version with the 9600XT or better. ;) The G5's are great fun, and Tiger's going to be even more of a blast.