PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GlynJones, Jun 15, 2005.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Hello all,
    Just ordered myself a refurbished PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8/256MB/80/SD/GF5200 from the UK apple store as it was such a bargain.

I already have a 12" Powerbook with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and plan to use these with my new machine. The problem is that their is no bluetooth module so is it possible to get an apple one fitted later (or by myself) if so where can I get one in the UK. If not, does anyone know of any PCI Bluetooth cards that are Mac compatible. The last resort would be a USB dongle but i'm not to keen on it sticking out of the back of the machine.

I plan on adding 1 gig of extra memory to bump this up to 1.25 gig. The hard drive can stay at 80gig for now.

At some stage I would like to beef up the graphics so again any recomendations and can I just buy a PC one and fit it into the machine?

Thanks for any advice given. I wanted to get a Mac Mini but once it had been spec'd up with the extras then the PowerMac was to much of a bargain to miss.

2. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can't just use any old GPU unfortunately. Unless you know how to 'zap' it, you're stuck with the standard Mac ones. :(

I don't know heaps about them, but I'd say the pricier ones are worth it if you're going to be doing GPU-intensive stuff.

As for Bluetooth, you may as well get it preinstalled unless you want a dongle using up a USB port further down the track.