Powermac G5: Hard Drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wilson, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Wilson macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2004
    I have a Powermac Dual 2.0 Rev. A and I want to buy another hard drive. Are there things I should look for before I go out and buy myself a hard drive that won't work. I know one thing for sure is that it is a Serial-ATA(SATA) that I need. Is there anything else I need to know? Are there any limits in hard drive size I need to watch out for? The one that came stock was 160GB...I'm looking to get a second hard drive that's 200GB+.

Any recommendations? A certain brand I should get? The last thing I want to do is buy a hard drive, open the package, install it and find out that it doesn't work. I'll be wasting time and money.

I'm running Panther 10.3.9....don't know if that makes a difference.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.
  2. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    Just get a SATA drive. SATA2 is out now, but I don't know if they are backwards compatible, just get a SATA drive to be safe. I've been happy with Western Digital drives I've bought, but I recently added an additional 250GB drive to my G5 and went with a Maxtor in part to the price and the 16MB cache it had and it's performed well.
  3. CTSxViper macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2005
    Hanover PA
    Any brand is okay. WD or Seagate I prefer. Get a 250 gig if you can. It will be worth it, and give you lots of space. Also, you can always add a couple of external Lacie Drives, firewire or USB 2.0. They are nice also, and only require to plug them into your ports and setup thru OSX. That's it.. :)
  4. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Get Seagate or Hitachi. And any SATA drive will work (including SATA2).
  5. Wilson thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2004