PowerMac G5 Headphone Jack -- Hiss / Static / Crackle / Noise

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rajs, Feb 8, 2004.

1. rajs macrumors newbie

Hello -- Has anyone noticed the following with the G5 PowerMacs (I have a DP 1.8).

Plug in some standard headphones in and don't play anything back -- but just listen and it is pretty much "quiet". On the other hand plug in something like a Shure E3 headphone (in ear headphones) ... and you will hear hiss / static / crackle type of noise even though nothing is playing. The extraneous sound still exists when music is being played.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. My assumption is that the Shure E3 headphones are picking up more high end frequencies and playing them back as compared to normal earphones or that they are much more sensitive earphones as compared to other items.

BTW -- I do know the earphones are fine as with other sources (iPod) this doens't happen -- it silent.

I have noticed this also on my ThinkPad T40 laptop <gasp -- don't kill me for that>.

Thanks for any shared experiences ...

Regards,

- rajs

2. mcarvin macrumors regular

After installing the CHUD tools and unchecking the Nap box in System Prefs>Processor, the hissing from the headphone jack and the buzzing from the G5 have been extremely reduced. I'm using the in-ear iPod headphones.

Link to Apple CHUD 4.0b1 on VersionTracker

Good luck,
    Michael

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

SNAP!? CRACKLE!? POP!? YOUR G5 HAS BEEN INFECTED BY THE RICE KRISPIE VIRUS!! Drown them in milk, they'll stop eventually.

Seriously, this is HORRIBLE news. Is the G5's Harmonic Distortion THAT BAD!? I use a Revolution 7.1 (.003% distortion) and have never heard anything of the sort. I was planning on buying a G5, but will wait for a Rev C at the very earliest now.

4. mcarvin macrumors regular

Better to install the CHUD than take it in for the updated power supply. Can't afford downtime with the current project load.

5. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Disabling processor napping will make your processor run a lot hotter. I have to it on my Powerbook sometimes, and the fans kick in after 10 minutes every time.