Powermac G5 help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gangst, Jan 9, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2004

I'm thinking about buying a dual 2.5 powermac g5 with ati x800 (when it comes out) and 2gb of ram. I'v read a few reviews, but none of them say much about performance, but just give benchmarks, which i don't really understand. I'm a big photoshop/motion/fcp user, so could you guys please tell me how it performs in these apps. At the moment I'm using a 1.33ghz powerbook, and was wondering how it performs to that aswell. I'd be thankful for any help. Also what options are best to be added to the Powermac.

Thanks in advance
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    These are the machines we use at work with 2.5gb RAM.

They're easily the best computer I have ever used Photoshop with and they will be until the next thing since sliced bread comes along... are they worth it? I would have thought twice about getting one for myself but prices have come down recently...

Best mod we did to them apart from the extra RAM, was installing 74gb Western Digital Raptor hard-drives just to give them that extra zip, particularly with Pshop's scratch files. HD size was not an issue as we store our work on a server...

We also reconditioned 2 Lacie monitors & purchased a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB 22" for me :D

No point having a fab machine for graphics without a good monitor...