PowerMac G5 - HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jrs2090, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. jrs2090 macrumors newbie

    Jul 20, 2005
    Over the past three years, I have been watching Apple Products like a Hawk. Waiting for the right moment to buy myself a PowerMac. Now of course I saved up the allocated money for the top-of-the-line MAC. I am now in a job that requires me to do heavy graphics and 3d work. I am currently getting by using an old PC and my work mac. I would like to be able to streamline everything and work more efficiently. So here is my question:
    Should I wait it out for an update?
    Is it going to be possible to update to the new OS after the switch in processors?
    Is all the software I would currently use on my mac, work with the upcoming OS?

    Thanks I'm sorry I am not well informed
  2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    No. They were recently updated in April. Check the Buyers Guide.

    Yes. Apple's going to be offering OS X for PowerPC for a while.

    Probably not. It depends. Some apps may require a simple update/patch. Others might require an updated version. And others will simply work without a hitch.
  3. jrs2090 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 20, 2005
    but dont' expect another ppc update before the new intel processors
  4. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    There will be. We just don't know when. Jobs did say at the WWDC that there are still plenty of PowerPC products coming down the pipeline. What products and what updates we don't know. My guess is it'll be updated G5 PowerMacs since IBM did announce their dual-core PowerPC 970MP processors a while back.
  5. jrs2090 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 20, 2005
    so wait a few weeks? or just go ahead and be screwed?
  6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    It'll be at least another 5 or 6 months before we can expect to see PowerMac updates, me thinks. Just get it now if you need it.

    I say PowerMac updates at MWSF 06 in January.
  7. jrs2090 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 20, 2005
    will the 970 FX processor work with the current motherboard in place on macs?
  8. sparky76 macrumors regular

    Jul 2, 2003
    If you buy a machine now that meets your needs, no matter what the update you won't be screwed - the machine will still do what you want in 3 years, as far ahead as you can really look. OK, your machine will last longer than that but that is, in my mind, as far ahead as you can expect to look no matter what computer you buy.
  9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5


    Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Apple has never made CPU upgrades available, mostly when they upgrade the CPU they come out with a different motherboard. I would highly doubt if there would be a pin-compatible CPU swap.

    Third parties like Sonnet create upgrade cards with all the necessary workarounds to upgrade certain machines.
  10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

    Dec 9, 2004
    The 970FX has been used for quite a while now; the better part of a year actually. According to the Processor prefs panel, my dual 2.5 G5 is running two PowerPC 970FX v3.0 (tech 0) CPUs. No idea what "tech 0" means....

  11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601


    Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i'm thinking about getting a dual g5 2.3 ghz.

    i see it this way:

    next ppc update around christmas
    next ppc update will bring about 10-20% speed increase at most
    next ppc update unlikely will have new features that i absolutely need (new type of WiFi, or H.264 acceleration or so)
    i'm hoping for a price drop on ppc's but i won't wait for it

    i don't care about 15% speed increase.
    i don't care if i have a dual g5 or a dual core.
    all the software i need is available, fast and stable on the ppc's now.
    os x will be available for the next 3-4 years on todays ppc.

    the intel switch will be problematic for the new intel macs that need new software. but todays ppc's with todays software just work. let other people find the bugs and test the software.

    so after my vacation i most likely go for a fast (i tested it) dual g5 2.3.

    then i will reenter the apple market in 4 years again when blazing fast intel mac's are available with stable software. till then the ppc will do everything i need.

    my two cents.


Share This Page