PowerMac G5 limiting resolution of Dell W3000 LCD HDTV?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jmcgee, Aug 10, 2005.

1. jmcgee macrumors newbie

Setup:
    My group needs to MPEG -2 compress .mov files and export them using Final Cut Pro 4.5's Compressor to Quicktime to play in a Dell W3000 LCD HDTV.

Problem:
    The Dell LCD HDTV, on a direct link to the G5 via DVI Cable, is currently displaying at VESA 1280x768. This is the highest resolution available in the list of resolutions in my "Apple Display Properties". However, the Dell LCD HDTV is capable of displaying 1920x1080i.
    This is what we want.

Solution:
    [MacG5]>>1394a>>[Convergent Design's HD-ConnectLE]>>HDTV Component(Y-Pb-Pr)>> [Dell LCD HDTV]

This hardware setup should resolve the issue, according to the technician at Convergent Design. I am wondering specifically, if when this setup is connected, the 1920x1080i resolution will become an option in the Apple Display Properties.
    **Is the Dell HDTV just "sensing" its DVI Cable input and choosing the highest VESA resolution and not HDTV resolution? Will the conversion to Y-Pb-Pr input (maintaining HD quality with the HD-ConnectLE), cause the Dell Monitor to "sense" an HDTV connection and choose the highest HDTV resolution of 1920x1080i?***
    Cause that... "would be great"

v/r
    Jack R McGee
    Department of Physics & Astronomy
    LSU Astrophysics Theory Group
    (225)5786851

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You have been suckered by marketing (sorry). Whilst the W3000 will accept a 1080i input signal it does not have 1920x1080 resolution. It simply downsamples (pretty rubbish eh).

The panel tech specs clearly show a native panel resolution of 1280 x 768 (WXGA).

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

4. jmcgee thread starter macrumors newbie

HDTV Display Mode pp35 User Manual

Thanks so much for the reply. Just one other addendum to your response. On page 35 of the Dell W3000 LCD HDTV User's Manual, it has three tables. The first table lists "PC Display Modes". They are all "VESA"--the highest resolution listed is 1280x768. The next table is TV Display Modes, and the last table is HDTV Display Modes--the highest being 1920x1080i. Would this not mean that this TV is capable of this resolution?
    Our group plans on using the following method to reach that res:
    [PowerMac G5]>>1394a>>[HD-ConnectLE]>>HDTV Component(Y-Pb-Pr)>>[Dell LCD]

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nope. The TV will accept an input of 1920x1080 (i or p is not really relevant to this discussion) on some inputs (component and possibly other analogue inputs, but not DVI) and will then convert that down to 1280x768. So it cannot display the full signal. You may well be able to send it a 1920x1080i signal, but you won't see the difference.

In fact many TV's do the downsampling in a really bad way. The drop every second line of the 1080 signal (and compress the lines a bit too) and then use the upsampler for normal non-HD content to get to 1280x768. So you actually get a WORSE picture than using 1280x768 directly. I am not sure if your TV is such a model, but it's worth thinking about.

Edit to add: note that were 1920x1080 (p) be available over DVI that would be a "standard" resolution. It may well even by VESA.

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

This does not mean the TV is capable of 1920x1080. As robbieduncan said, your TV accepts a 1080i signal but scales it down to 1280x768. The key spec in LCD and plasma monitors is the native resolution. There are a handful of 1080p HDTV monitors out there (from Sharp and BenQ) which have native 1920x1080 native resolution. At the moment, Dell has no 1080p HDTV monitors.
    Just leave the DVI cable connected. The Convergent Design thing is unnecessary and as robbieduncan said, it'll likely degrade the signal.

Why do you plan to compress the movie files to MPEG-2? What format are the originals? FCP 4.5's Compressor (which is version 1) doesn't have a preset for HD MPEG-2, although I suppose you could tweak the settings to create one. FCP 5's Compressor (version 2) has a preset for HD MPEG-2.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is a Westinghouse 37" LCD TV with native 1920x1080 resolution too. I don't think it's over here in the UK yet but you can pick them up now in the states for $2000: here (you need to add it too your cart to get the price).

8. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

you need a monitor, a 30' monitor apple or not, not a TV (flat or not)