PowerMac G5 Next Gen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bozola, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Bozola macrumors regular

Anyone but me interested in Rev C powermac updates to include a smaller footprint/ overall size?

Sure updated specs would be nice but the thing is just too big.
    Gorgeous... yes, but still too big!

Any thoughts?

2. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

i think the current G5 cases are beautiful. i can't wait to see what is next, i just hope it is not a "smaller" version. :)

3. &RU macrumors member

How about those elusive 3Ghz processors?

I believe that the size certainly cannot be justified when you consider how little expansion it affords. I actually do not mind the form factor, but only having room for one optical drive and two hard drives (without modifications) in a so called "Pro" machine is entirely subpar.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I COMPLETELY agree on the optical drive issue. It was the first thing I noticed when I saw the G5 tower for the first time. "Where's the second optical drive bay???". While a SuperDrive will do everything a optical drive can do, I like the speed of having a second optical drive (for example, in my PC, I have a 52x24x52 CD-RW, and a 16x DVD-ROM drive. A DVD-RW drive cannot achieve those speeds (a year ago, anyway). And having a drive to leave a game CD in while having the other open for other stuff is nice too. Less swapping!

As for the updates, I've said this before and I'll say it again: my guts told me that it'll be a reshuffling of the lineup to a 2.0-2.3-2.5 lineup. Then a real processor upgrade in WWDC. Just my gut feeling anyway.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since we are saying what we hope for.
    -Two PCI Express x16 slots for SLI (for dual nVidia 6800 Ultra's)
    -Use of the upcoming DDR2 800
    -four s-ata ports (four drive bays)
    -all the current ports on the back
    -top model dual 3.0 ghz (optional liquid nitrogen cooling like on http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/index.html to overclock to dual 5.0 ghz) :D
    -dual layer superdrive
    -minimum for machines (single 2ghz, no ram, hd, superdrive, or video card so user can find everything themselves for less.)
    -BIOS modified so any video card with a mac driver can operate on an Apple rather than the cards firmware having to be designed for a Mac. This current problem is one factor that makes Mac video cards so expensive with such a small selection according to the rep I spoke with at ATI.

This is all fantasy but it would be extremely cool. :cool: -

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also think that the current model is awesome. The size seems to be OK IMHO. Chances are the size was designed for proper cooling of the G5 processor. Hopefully it will last for several more years. I also want to see improvements made with the processor, memory, and video.

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I want the next PMG5 to have a fridge in it, so I can store some snack and drink in that case. heck it uses liquid cooling already and its not that far fetched. Those workaholics and gamers will love it.

While we are at it include a microwave with it too. ;) :)

8. vashim66 macrumors member

a barebones powermac would rule! But very unlikely for apple. Just the case the processor provided by apple so I can put in my own components

9. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

And only cost $100... dream machine :D

10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I'd love that.