Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex_scruff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
hi there.

i was quickly wondering if anybody had any idea what the power consumption of a powermac G5 DP 2GHZ (PowerMac7,3) would be in watts? What is the PSU rated at?

Basically im a film student and I work pretty hard at what I do, editing and the like, and the electricity supply back home and sometimes on campus aswell seems to be less than reliable. Sure I have my final cut auto save thing up and running, but i'd rather be able to save and shutdown than get cut off.

In other words I would like to get an uninterruptble power supply thing but im not sure what to get.

cheers,

alex :)

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Do you mean a UPS? Get the biggest one you can afford. The more powerful the UPS battery, the longer it will run after the power goes out. Even a small one will make it last during power outages of a few minutes. It will also act as a surge protector.

alex_scruff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
:) yep i mean a UPS.

I guess I would really only need to have enough time to save the project and shut down the machine safely. I really want to do it as cheaply as possible tho.

I've seen APC 350watt ones going for next to nothing, but im pretty doubtful thats gonna cut the mustard with the dual processors, and the last thing i want to do is damage my machine. The only other devices it would need to run realistically are a Formac gallery screen rated at 40w and possibly a lacie external drive rated at 30w.

Please excuse my ignorance, i never had one of these before. :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You are probably looking at something with AVR if you want a UPS a 900VA/100VA unit with AVR is probably about $99.

A 750VA unit with 400W capacity and AVR is about $90.

Automatic Voltage Regulation and something starting at 400W is what you are after.

You can get stuff much cheaper, but they are just battery backup. And don't really do much at all to protect your machine.

Most people here would say look at Belkin or APC.

Edit: The Rev A sucks a lot of watts, and the large LCDs, and highend video cards will toss off the number on the newer machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.