PowerMac G5 Quad logic board failure-anyone else?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pstearns13, Nov 18, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

My PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz has been diagnosed by a Tech at an Apple store as having a failed Logic board and Processor(s). The machine is not even 4 years old and was in immaculate condition. Estimated cost to repair $3000+.

Anyone else having problems?

Let's hear from you.

2. macrumors newbie

Yep, my dual 2.0 G5 (jun '04) just went belly-up in the exact same fashion. Tech said it'll cost $600 for him to fix it. I can buy another computer for less than that!

This puts me in the unfortunate position of someone who needs a new computer 12 weeks before Macworld... :(

I've been tossing the idea back and forth of buying a G5 on ebay and waiting it out, or jumping in for a Mac Pro.

3. macrumors newbie

Got 3x PowerMac G5 towers here, all Dual 2.5ghz, also about 4 years old.
    All have had logic board and processors replaced, i have assumed the replacements to be reconditioned. One of them has had a second replacement due to it only running off one processor when we got it back. Two of the machines have suffered from liquid coolant leakage which was a known fault and apple did the work free of charge even though machines out of warranty.
    (they didnt replace the damaged carpet tiles where the G5's where sat though)

All the above has happened in the last year, but to be fair all have been used quite intensely pretty much every day for design work, video, 3D rendering etc, i would have been surprised if they had lasted this long without something going wrong.

Steve

4. macrumors 65816

300D

Its known as a "leaking cooling system". Very common problem and the eventual fate of ALL liquid cooled G5 machines.

Too bad it didn't fail a few months ago if you had AppleCare, you could have gotten a free Mac Pro replacement from Apple. Now you're SOL.

5. macrumors 65816

Don't expect refreshes during MacWorld. Apple's stopped attending and won't base their product cycle on MacWorld any more.

Of course, Q1 is a possible refresh for the MacPro based on Intel's schedule, so you might still get a refresh around then anyway. :)

6. macrumors newbie

Key word: POSSIBLE :confused::)

I took the advice of some others who told me you can never "win" the waiting game with Apple, and just ordered my first Intel Mac Pro.

w00t!

7. macrumors 65816

300D

Now you just LOST the game by buying 8 month old hardware.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

not a cooling system problem

Actually the problem is with the logic board and not the cooling system.
    The processors may be bad as well but the tech couldn't get that far to determine if they are an issue.

Seems to me that a logic board should last longer than 3 years and 9 months.

9. macrumors 65816

300D

Sorry bud. If the logicboard and CPUs are dead, its the cooling system.

10. macrumors newbie

300D is right. Most likely the coolant leaked and fried the logic board. Happened to my G5, Apple should cover the repair cost even if it is out of warranty.

11. macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

Recently shared on Xlr8yourmac is a case involving a Power Mac --- 2 years beyond AppleCare and yet been fixed for free etc ...

Source: Link

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

No liquid

I tipped the computer on its side for 24 hours and no liquid appeared.
    How can you identify a cooling system leak if there is no liquid?

13. macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

This link may or may not have answered your question to your satisfaction. But I hope it gives rise to an idea on how to assist in identifying a cooling system leak in your specific situation.

14. macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

15. macrumors 65816

300D

Thats because its a leak, not a total fluid loss.

http://rknochenmuss.ch/G5leak/G5.html

16. macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

I have a QUAD G5, ordered when it was first released and has been working flawlessly since then. I hardly even ever power the system down. No sign of leaks or panics / overheating. I have no doubt that given the way the cooling system has failed in most other machines, mine will one day bite the dust. I hope not though.

17. thread starter macrumors newbie

Leaks

Thanks for the links to the 2 reports on leaking issues. I'll have to dig into the machine to see if I can see any internal damage.

If there is none, any suggestions on the best way to piece out a machine?

18. macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Don't pay too much attention to 300D. Motherboards, cpus, ram, etc can fail for any number of reasons, just so happens that these machines commonly suffer from coolant leaks. :)

19. thread starter macrumors newbie

Either way

Whether it is a coolant leak or not, the fact is that the logic board is shot and too expensive to replace. The only way to salvage any value out of it is to piece it out. If I see evidence of a leak I'll bring it to Apple's attention and see what they say. If not, I'll be selling parts on ebay.