Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgtbilko28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Hi all,

In the last few weeks, my Powermac G5 finally packed it in after 5 years of flawless performance. The problem is that its stuck at the white apple screen and does not boot beyond that. Its the same whether its from the internal drive (confirmed functioning 100%) or booting from the Leopard DVD which makes me think its truly rooted.

Its an Early 2004 Dual 2.0Ghz Powermac G5, 2.5GB RAM, X800XT

I've done PSU resets, done PRAM, done reset-all and all the usual console tricks. I've switched out the ram to work with one pair, then another. I've given the bastard a solid cleanout but alas, it remains there on the white screen lifeless.

I've even ordered a brand new iMac, but thats weeks away and I'm stuck using a frakken piece of $%^T eMac. Anyone got more suggestions before I scrap it?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hi all,

In the last few weeks, my Powermac G5 finally packed it in after 5 years of flawless performance. The problem is that its stuck at the white apple screen and does not boot beyond that. Its the same whether its from the internal drive (confirmed functioning 100%) or booting from the Leopard DVD which makes me think its truly rooted.

I've done PSU resets, done PRAM, done reset-all and all the usual console tricks. I've switched out the ram to work with one pair, then another. I've given the bastard a solid cleanout but alas, it remains there on the white screen lifeless.

I've even ordered a brand new iMac, but thats weeks away and I'm stuck using a frakken piece of $%^T eMac. Anyone got more suggestions before I scrap it?
Physically remove the hard drive and then try to boot up from the DVD.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I had the same problem with mine and brought it to a technician who found out that it's either a broken logic or processor board. Either way a repair would have been too expensive. BTW, when I looked for an answer to my problem (end of last year), I found out that many PMG5s did suffer from this problem in that time...

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Spinning parts go bad first as always...

Hi all,

ATI's Radeon X800 was a very hot runner. Reseat the graphic card and check the fan. Often the fan quits without notice, dying an overheating death.

Run the G5 with open side and check all the other fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.