Powermac G5 Sleep Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by NSiebenmor, Aug 29, 2005.

1. NSiebenmor macrumors member

I just picked up my Powermac Dual 2g G5 from the Apple store for a problem they were unable to fix. After I put it to sleep and then wake it up, the cd tray won't eject. They replaced the logic board and the processors and it didn't help. Their suggestion is to not put it to sleep and call back in a month to see if their engineers have figured out the problem. I think this is a load of crap. I bought this computer in June. They think since it runs fine except for sleep that they shouldn't replace it. Well I like to put my computers to sleep, because the G5 puts out so much heat and because I don't like to shut down my computer in the middle of a project. The fact is I paid $2000 for a machine that does completely run properly in all its aspects. I honestly don't think that their engineers will figure out the problems. I think this is a very isolated incident and it is such a freak problem that it will remain unsolved. I'm not going to wait 2 or 3 months to find out they couldn't figure it out. Anyway I've gotten no where with arguing on the phone. I'm honestly thinking about bringing a lawyer into this. What do you guys think?

Nick

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Honestly, i think it will be a bad idea to bring a lawyer into the issue.

I understand your frustration, but come on... your cd tray won't eject.

It'll end up costing you wayyyyy more to hire a lawyer and then there's the chance you don't win anything. I'd keep annoying whoever the "engineers" are that are "solving" the issue, because maybe you're right... maybe they'll just let it go. If you call and persist, however, they HAVE to look into it... they said they would.

3. NSiebenmor thread starter macrumors member

That's like buying a new car and perhaps the instrument panel light stops working. The car still runs fine, but it's just a light so it shouldn't matter right? Wrong. Everything should be working like it's supposed to people that's what I paid for from Apple. At what point do we as consumers stop taking this run around from big companies?

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Well what i'm saying is this.

Don't settle for the situation you're in. Make sure that they (the repair shop, apple, or both) understand that you do not accept it. But i don't think it would be economically sound to attempt legal action in order to remedie the situation.

Maybe money is not an issue for you, and you're more focused on "the greater good". If this is the case, go for it. But I think you'll end up with nothing but a hole in your pocket and a frown on your face.

5. Err macrumors member

Figure it out yourself, if they replaced logic board and processors, swap out the CD drive if you are able, maybe the CD drive firmware is corrupt, if thats not it, did you reinstall OS X? maybe the kernel is corrupt? I agree this is not your fault and they should take care of it tho. maybe if you figure out its the CD drive and tell them they will put a new one in... hope it works out. ;)