PowerMac G5 Specs For A Newbie

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tuned MP5T, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

I just did my income tax today and I'm getting more then what I thought I was going to get. Instead of getting the Mac mini, I might get a Power Mac. Here are the spec's - feedback is needed and wanted.

512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
    80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM
    Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
    56k V.92 modem.
    8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
    Mac OS X - U.S. English

Subtotal $2,360.00

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Sounds good to me, better than a mini, but it doesn't have that tiny form factor, but if you can swing it, I would go for it.

3. deebster macrumors 6502

Only thing I would comment on is that if your Mac comes with 256MB RAM as stock then don't upgrade from Apple. Instead save the money and get a nice 1GB stick.

Other than that you might want to consider the HD upgrade. Depends what you're gonna be putting on it of course.

4. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I'm assuming this is for the SP 1.8GHz machine?

I would say, scrap the Apple Cinema Display and boost the computers capabilities. You can get nice monitors for much cheaper than the Apple CDs, and if you have to, go with a good CRT until you can save up for the LCD. Your computer will last you a lot longer that way.

For example:

SP 1.8GHz
    256 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
    Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
    APP for PowerMac
    20" Cinema Display

$2581 with edu discount

OR

Dual 1.8GHz
    1.25GB RAM (3rd party)
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
    Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
    APP for PowerMac
    19" Flat screen CRT

~ $2475

About $100 cheaper, and I get 1GB more RAM and a second processor

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I'd say drop the DVD burner and 20" Cinema Display, unless you really want it. You can save a good ammount of money by buying another brand LCD or CRT. Get an external 16X DL DVD burner instead of the cheap 8X single layer burners in the PMs.

6. vtprinz macrumors 6502

This would cost me more than twice the price of the internal 8X drive (with edu discount, $90). Plus, when would I really need dual-layer burning? The blank double layer dvds are $10 a pop, and that's only for 2.4X write speed.

I just want the DVD-R for storage/backup purposes.

7. anubis macrumors 6502a

I like the memory upgrade. I think it's a good idea to get 512 from the factory because instead of getting stuck with 2 128mb sticks, you get 2 256mb sticks. This is importnat if you get the 1.8ghz model (like me) and you only have 4 ram slots. If you decide to jam 2 256 sticks in there after you buy it, you're stuck with 768mb and no more ram slots. You'll have to throw away your 128mb sticks or sell them for a very small amount of money on ebay (no one wants 128mb sticks any more) if you want to upgrade past that.

Also, I like the graphic card upgrade. It's a cheap upgrade ($40) over the nVidia but I think it gives much better performance.

Do you really need the modem? Dump it if you don't and save like $20.

You should consider getting the combo drive and then buying an internal DVD burner from newegg or somewhere. Replace the combo drive with a dual-layer burner like the pioneer 108. It will only cost about $70 and will give you the dual-layer capability for when the cost of DL discs drops in the future. That's what I did.

Might I recommend the bluetooth + wireless keyboard and mouse package. It's a really nice upgrade and it's a lot of fun to show off to family and friends. I think the wireless keyboard and mouse look really slick.

My big beef with you is the 20-inch cinema display. This Apple display is extremely overpriced. For about $575 you can get a 20.1-inch Dell widescreen flat panel which is comparable in quality but is nearly half the cost. The key is to search the net (e.g. bensbargains.net) for coupon codes to use on dell's web site to bring the price down. For about $550 you can get a 20.1-inch dell standard aspect flat panel. If I were you, I'd seriously save the 300-400 bucks it would cost you to get an Apple flat panel compared to the Dell flat panel. Yeah, the Apple monitor's bezel looks nice, but $400 is a lot of money to me, and for something that is basically nonfunctional to the performance of the display, it isn't worth it. Take that extra $400 and upgrade to the dual 1.8ghz model, or upgrade to the wireless package, larger hard drive, and Radeon 9800. I think that route would make you the happiest.

8. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's true cause I'll be using the ethernet connection.

The thing is that I already have a PC (Dell) and I want everything to be Apple.

EDIT:What HD does the PowerMac use? I want to add a second HD (Seagate) for music, photos and office files.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Get a far more powerful machine and choose a cheaper monitor...

It will be more useful for longer and unless you're heavily into graphics where accurate colour is important, get another monitor.

The Apple displays are too expensive at the moment and are bound to come down in price... At work, I've got a dual 2.5 G5 hooked up to a Mitsubishi 2070SB monitor and it's fine for what I do which is print design.

At home I have an much more cruddier monitor but I got the best & fastest Mac I could at the time – a dual 1.42 G4 with a superdrive & FW800. No regrets and this will be good for work for quite a few years...

The G5s use SATA drives, very easy to install...