PowerMac G5 speed bump - when?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by svenr, Mar 15, 2005.

1. svenr macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    Just probing what the common thinking is on this issue. Have there been any news or rumors lately hinting a PM G5 upgrade anytime soon? I'm thinking about getting the top of the line model, but I don't wanna find out they come out with 3 GHz the day after I bought one. I mean it's almost a year overdue, right?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Read the front page, don't expect a speed bump -- expect something better. :rolleyes:
  3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Can I pleeeaassseee report this thread so that it will be at least one less in the massive flood of threads asking questions that you can just SEARCH and find the answer to?
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Go for it. I'm sick of these threads too.
  5. svenr thread starter macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    The front page is talking about a new chip from IBM. And for all the other extra smart ones: I've also seen this thread
    But again, it's talking about a new chip. It can be months (years?) before Apple starts selling a PowerMac with chips that IBM is working on right now. I was asking about a new PM from Apple, not a new chip-in-development from IBM. I understand this is related, but not the same.

Thanks everyone.
  6. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    If this were the case, there'd be very few threads on this forum at all. How many new powerbook threads start up everday asking about when the next update will be, even though it's only been a month or so since the last one?

I, for one, would like to see more speculation about the PMs, as it seems to merit discussion more than the powerbooks at this point. Besides, this is the only powermac thread on the whole front page of the forum...not exactly a massive flood.

As to the OP's question, the length of time that we've been without an update, and the lack of ANY word on the powermacs in the rumor sites (other than MOSR, but they're notoriously unreliable) makes me think that we won't see anything until around WWDC. If Apple is waiting that long, I hope to see a major upgrade. I have no clue what exactly that will be though.

iMacs and eMacs have been rumored to be upgraded soon, and Tiger should be out in a month, so I think the earliest we'll see new PMs is May.