PowerMac G5 Television Ad seen on CNBC. (mp4 file)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Freg3000, Jul 15, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I was sitting on my bed, using my laptop, not paying attention to the TV. I was watching CNBC but it was on commercial, and I was tuning out the noise. I heard a crashing noise in the commercial, which made me look up, and then I saw the G5. It was sitting on a desk at night with an Apple display to the right of it (from our perspective). You could see the left side of the G5 (the side you can't remove). Then apple.com/g5 appeared on the screen. I missed most of the commercial, but it was definitely not the normal white screen we have seen with the iPod and Switch commercials.

Very exciting! :)

Edit: I am going to record CNBC during the commercial break to see if I can capture the G5 ad.

2. macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Well I can definitely say that it is not the promo video. I assume that it is only a normal 30 second commercial. But then again I only saw the last 5 seconds or so.

4. macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Ether way, it’s the Weapon of choice..

In responce to Tzao below->
    I didn't mean to be obtuse. I thought the connection was clear.
    I havn't found a link to a spooled copy of the ad, and hope somebody posts one when it does happen.

5. macrumors 68040

tazo

I am confused eniregnat, how does fatboy slim relate to the G5? Ugly? :) Seriously though whats with the link to fatboy slim's site?

-tazo

6. macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

The G5 promo plays Weapon of Choice in the BG.

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

Freg3000

8. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Whoa, Jeff Goldblum!!! Imagine how hard it was to hire an actor of Mr. Goldblum's stature and credentials. They must have bargained with Mr. Goldblum for months, maybe years, to get him to shoot another Apple commercial, what with his hectic acting schedule and all. ;)

Next, they should hire Mr. T to shoot a commercial. "I pity the foo......I pity the foo who doesn't buy this computer."

9. macrumors 68020

great job freg3000!!! good work! thanks!

can't wait to see it.

10. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That's great. Good commercial. Simple, but it gets the point across.

Thanks Freg3000! :D

11. macrumors bot

12. macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

Maybe I'm a bit slow, but what does the breaking glass have to do with anything?

13. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good question. Freg3000 said that he missed the beginning of the commercial, so I don't know why there was glass breaking at the beginning of the file, but there was also glass broken at the end of the commercial. We saw the entire ending, and it just didn't make any sense. :confused:

14. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

That's it? No one can ever accuse Apple of the 'hard sell.'

15. Das
    macrumors regular

nonono, that's the sound of my wallet.

16. macrumors 6502

not bad

Hmm... not bad. I like it more than most commercials i see nowadays, with their bad plot-lines and silly antics. No i can't really give an example, but i bet you can.

17. macrumors G5

nagromme

That can't be the whole ad. What is that room full of junk? What are those crashing sounds? Why is the light so dim? There must be a point to it, and we're only getting part of the ad.

Odd that the link (/g5) at the end goes to a rather technical page on the G5 architecture, rather than to the mini-site on the PowerMac G5 itself.

18. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Did you really record it? This was posted in the Hardware Forum:

From "MacBytes". It seems to be the same file as yours, since it's "incomplete" as you have mentioned. They stole it from you very quickly!!!

19. macrumors demi-god

szark

MacBytes = MacRumors = arn

The link goes to Freg3000's site.

20. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

In another thread, the person who recorded this noted that he only caught the last part of it. This is not the whole ad.

21. thread starter macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I have the worst luck. I just caught the ending again. I am just dedicting my recorder to CNBC and leaving it on. They broadcast apple commercials a lot. Actually, it is the only place I have seen it.

Thanks everyone.

22. macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Thanks Freg3000! Wondefull job! Im watching CNBC now, to see if i can catch the beggining of the ad! :D

23. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Apparently the commercial depicts someone being thrown into the room and then blown out of the room through the window. Also on that link is speculation of a new LCD, but it looks like a "normal" 23" Cinema to me. Wonder if that means no new displays?

24. macrumors regular

I too saw this commercial except on MTV and not CNBC. (haha, gotta love MTV. macs always seem to pop up on their shows). I missed part of the beginning but the commercial features apparently a woman standing there I think, and then the camera going through several broken walls to the room where the G5 is. Then the clip that was recorded follows with the some guy saying something like "The Power Mac G5, world's fastest personal computer." I think the idea of the commercial is that the G5 is so powerful that it can blast through walls. Funny to say the least. And it features the G5, which makes it absolutely awesome. :D. On a side note, notice the monitor. Apparently unrevised old Cinema HD Display. And keyboard which seems to be the Apple Keyboard. This seems to be a huge blow to the rumors of new keyboards, mice, and monitors. Why not just use a protoype model in your ad to show what the consumer will get? Unless they're not planning to release it anytime soon.

25. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Cool commercial, finally Apple showcases their products. The powermacs looks rendered though...