PowerMac G5 upgrade

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bob Jovi, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting an extra 2GB of RAM for my 2.3 G5 powermac as I've been using Final Cut alot recently. Will I see a major difference when jumping from 2GB up to 4GB?

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

4GB RAM In G5 PM Is A Good Idea

Major might be overstating it. But I think 4GB should be helpful. That's what I have in my Quad G5 after taking two out and putting them in a 2GHz DC G5 PM. I do think 2GB is not enough.

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

i noticed a jump going up to 3.5, but nothing to really blow my socks off. i think a key is the video card and the processor. you'll be pleased however.

4. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Save your money.

Spend it on something else for your set-up like an extra computer monitor, a color crit monitor, an audio mixing board, a good set of speakers, an I/O card, scopes, or a deck.

2GB is fine.

5. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i was thinking about getting a nice pair of studio speakers. although I haven't been doing much audio work recently. but today I was rendering audio and video whilst converting other footage from avi to dv and my computer really seemed like it was struggling.

6. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Why render audio?

I can understand the need to render video (transitions and filters), but there should rarely be a need to render audio. Are you using audio filters? Make sure the audio setting for your sequence matches your audio clips. Same goes for video.

Converting will always slow computers...you are limited by your processor. I doubt the few seconds you might gain from added memory, if that, will benefit you; even if it's for a job.

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

You will not notice a difference in rendering speed. Rendering is all on the Processor. Final Cut Pro utilizes up to 2.5 gb's of ram. It's a good idea to have 4 gigs of ram so you have some ram left over to run other programs.