Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
My G5 (no Airport card) has two Ethernet ports. I'm using one to connect the computer to an Airport express allowing access to my home network.

I'm wondering if it's possible to connect another device to the network via the second Ethernet port?

I should point out that reason I'd like to do this is to connect my Apple TV2 to the PowerMac allowing:
- faster streaming of media to the ATV2 (it can be slow over my Wi-Fi)
- the ATV2 to wake the G5 over Ethernet

I've tried plugging it in and also Allowing Internet connection sharing in the settings, but no luck.

Cheers :)

Josh.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Are you using a crossover cable, as Im not sure if the ATVs Ethernet is auto-sensing, so it might not be able to use a normal Ethernet Cable to do this?

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Might be a MacOS version dependant function.

Although i don't have it running right now - have in the past had my iMac G5 on Leopard connected to the 2nd ethernet on my MP 2008 on SL.

Iirc i could use it to share files on the network and give the iMac access to the internet. Other MP ethernet port was connected to my router.

Think i had to allow both file sharing and internet sharing on the sharing preference pane on the MP.

Sorry thats all a bit vague as i'm doing it from memory :eek:
---------------------
also seem to remember theres something about the ip addressing. in my case the iMac and the associated port on the MP need to be a different network from the router, MP other ethernet and any other devices connected to the router. So translating that to your set up you'd have the PMG5 ethernet 1 and Airport on 192.168.1.x and the ATV and PMG5 ethernet 2 on 192.168.2.x

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Might be a MacOS version dependant function.

Although i don't have it running right now - have in the past had my iMac G5 on Leopard connected to the 2nd ethernet on my MP 2008 on SL.

Iirc i could use it to share files on the network and give the iMac access to the internet. Other MP ethernet port was connected to my router.

Think i had to allow both file sharing and internet sharing on the sharing preference pane on the MP.

Sorry thats all a bit vague as i'm doing it from memory :eek:
---------------------
also seem to remember theres something about the ip addressing. in my case the iMac and the associated port on the MP need to be a different network from the router, MP other ethernet and any other devices connected to the router. So translating that to your set up you'd have the PMG5 ethernet 1 and Airport on 192.168.1.x and the ATV and PMG5 ethernet 2 on 192.168.2.x

Yeah, and indeed it could be a combination of both issues.. I know it is possible in Leopard as well, as I had it working on my PowerMac G4 between built-in ethernet and a PCI Ethernet card inside - in fact I think I got it working to other computers at least under Panther... again, from my memory as well xD.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
if it's possible to connect another device to the network via the second Ethernet port?

Sure it is. Like rtrt said, it all about IP config (see his example). Use Sharing preference pane to activate Internet sharing (from Ethernet 1 to Ethernet 2). I've used this feature in 10.4 and 10.5 without problems. Now I'm using it to share internet wirelessly between MP and PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.