PowerMac G5 video card fried (pink display)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Davy.Shalom, Aug 28, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I go to football practice, the air conditioner is on, my powermac is converting video. I get back, it wakes from sleep mode, and the display is pink. I restart it, still pink. Five seconds into this post it turned back to normal. The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6600. It is a PCIe powermac G5 dual 2.3 GHz. The graphics card has only a heatsink and no fan, so my first guess was that something fried.

Any ideas?

2. macrumors 68000

4JNA

my first thought was display, not video card.

i fix a lot of laptops, and the symptom you described is the same when a laptop LCD screen is going out, or starting to die.

what display are you using, and do you have anything else to test it with?

3. macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

yeah those 6600le cards are pretty robust, havent heard of many (any) pulling the pin.

Remove, reseat!

see how ya go..

4. macrumors 6502a

make sure the video cable is plugged in properly this has has happened to me before and the cable wasn't plugged in properly

5. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

+1 I remember that happening on VGA connected monitors. Would turn the monitor all different colors sometimes.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Well I changed out the cable for another one, and the colors are back to normal. We'll see if it remains this way.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the LCD panel going out, the monitor isn't a well known brand. It's an AOC 20 inch VGA monitor that I traded my friend an old PC laptop for.