PowerMac G5 w/16XDVD-/+R Dual Layer Drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Little Endian, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=7073&Item=PIODVR108BK

Was wondering if I should Dump the superdrive when ordering my PowerMac G5 for a Combo drive and save $100 and use it to purchase this 16X DVD-/+RW Dual Layer Capable Drive. Makes me wonder why Apple just does'nt use these drives as standard. The Current 8X DVD-R drives Apple uses in PowerMacs are becoming rather dated. These new Pioneer drives are litteraly twice as fast in almost every regard in comparison to the Current 8X superdrives Apple uses. OWC also offers rebates when turning in your old Optical Drive so in theory I could get a 16X Dual layer drive for free plus pocket an extra $10 by dumping the Superdrive Option for a Combo drive when I BTO. Serioulsy I wish Apple just saved me the damned trouble.

Gets even better I found this for even cheaper $78
    http://www.dumpinggoods.com/dumpinggoods/itemdesc.asp?CartId=10213749YWXUS-ACCWARE-63&ic=DG29310

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I just bought an iMac G5 and wish I would have had the option to get a dual-layer drive. If I were you I would not get the dvd burner in the PowerMac G5 and buy a dual-layer yourself. The price of the dual-layer dvd+r's will drop quick enough...and you'll be able to burn both normal size dvd-r's & dvd+r's. I plan on buying a firewire dual-layer burner after Christmas.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Go to www.xlr8yourmac.com and look at the drive reviews. They are a very good way to tell if your drive will work well in a mac. The only downside I can see is that you won't be able to burn to it with iDVD, there may be a hack to fix that though.

4. molcas&e'sdad macrumors member

Is dual-layer media available yet? Price? I haven't seen any at the local Best Buy, etc.

5. sparky76 macrumors regular

Maybe try waiting until January. It's unlikely Apple will be able to speed-bump the G5, so they might start offering this drive as a BTO option (along with other changes).

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I replaced my DVR-103 in my Quciksilver with a DVR-108.
    Using Patchburn III, it works like a charm with all iApps.

Please note that dual-layer burning is currently ONLY supported using Toast 6.

7. Bob Dobbs macrumors regular

Please let us know if you do it. I too am very tempted... infact the link on the bottom of this page has that drive for $76!!! I would just worry about how hard it is to pull the old & put the new one in.

in case its gone... http://www.xpcgear.com/piodvra08xlb.html