1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

powermac g5 what is that little box?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by WalterDirt, May 23, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Alright so I bought a G5 2.0Ghz dualie. Aside from the mini its my first real mac. The first thing I did was open the puppy up and look at its guts. Everything seems normal except this one little box. It's been bugging me and I can't figure out what it is.

Between the Optical Drive and the Hard drive bays theres a round looking plastic module with 4 little cables running into it that I haven't a clue what it is. Does anybody know?

It has a cable that plugs into the motherboard, but even disconnected the machine boots. It's a bit hard to get to.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 604

Lacero

Beats me. I've always wondered what that was as well. Maybe someone geekier than me can answer that question.

3. macrumors 6502

I am also interested !

4. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

My (older) G5 Dual 2.0GHz has fans between the optical drive and the HDs. Can anyone post a picture?

5. macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I'll ask the service guy at work wednesday.

6. macrumors 68000

mklos

It could be the heat sensors. I know there's sensors in every zone. It could also be the plugs from the USB, FW, Power Button, and headphone ports.

7. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Could you post a picture, my guess is that it is some sort of fan, although I can't be sure without a picture, their are fans in places people don't realize.

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

oh THAT box! :p when I look inside my G5, it's clearly a widget or a doodad. ;)

10. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

Looks like a converter from Legacy Power Connector to SATA power Connector. It could also be the "brain" behind the fans, controlling them, etc.

TEG

11. macrumors 6502

Where do all 4 of the cables go?
    It looks like the controller for the fans, like Teg said.

12. macrumors 6502

mowogg

Looks like a fan to me.

13. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

I'd say it's a fan - i noticed it too as soon as I opened up my new machine!

[​IMG]

Yup, definitely a fan!!

Why on earth would you unplug it?!

14. macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

i'm not convinced it's a fan, I guess the usrrest way to find out is to count the other fans in the case. if you count 8 others, then it's a fan, if there are 9 others, then it's a bomb ;)