Powermac G5 wireless question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BigDukeSix, Jun 16, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Now that my G5 Powermac has been replaced by a Mini, I was thinking of using it to connect to my TV so I can watch streaming video online. However, the G5 does not have an airport card installed, and I do not really want to run a 50 ft cable into my living room so it can be online.

What are my options? Will the dongles that plug into a USB port work with my G5? If so, any suggestions as to which one to get?

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 68040

666sheep

3. macrumors newbie

An alternative is to use an airport express/extreme/timecapsule base station as a bridge and connect the powermac to it via ethernet. I've used this and it works well (on an all apple network).

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Interesting idea. How hard it that to set up in Airport Utility? I do have an all Apple network so it should be fairly easy, but I am never sure about using the express as a bridge from my extreme.

5. macrumors newbie

No problems, I remember it only taking a couple of minutes (it was over a year ago I did it, so my memory is a bit sketchy). I happen to do it with an old time capsule. I just added it to the network using airport utility. I think I ticked the option to not allow wireless clients so my Wii didn't log on at g speeds and slow the whole network down. (Network hub is a dual band timecapsule). It should work fine. I guess if you have to buy an express it isn't worth the cost, but if you have one you could redeploy it might be worth a try.