powermac g5 wont boot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CRUDE SKINNY B, Jun 26, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

May 27, 2011
    hi, i have a powermac G5 early 2005 2.3 dual and when i turned it on i got the error message saying that i need to restart, i restarted and i got the same problem but as it was booting, it crashed rebooted again.

I then took out the HDD and added a 1tb hdd in (2 months old still has all my backups on) and tried to install osx on it, however all i got was a folder icon with a flashing ? mark and i could not open the disc drive to reinstall osx.

other points to note, there was a slight burning smell when i tried to boot for the first time today then when i was copying data to the HDD it kept stopping, i tried to use disk utilliy to verify the disk but then the whole computer froze beachball etc.

any help would be appreciated, thanks
  2. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 27, 2011
    just an update.
    i reset the pram etc (didnt work)
    then i forced open the disk drive and put in the original disc and its now installing so i hope that that works
  3. macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Any luck? I had the same problem a few months agon, luckily i had a spare HD to slot in and just did as you are doing, reinstalled OSX. However, now getting a lot of other issues (see my thread for details) so don't think it was the HD at fault in my case!!
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 27, 2011
    update, installed tiger to the new hdd but as i was updating it i got another crash and had to restart my machine again and now it gets to the apple logo and then the fans start going mental, pain in the a*s.

i presume thats its not the hdd as i have tried two hdd and get the same problem.

any help would be great help, cheers