1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Powermac G5 won't start up

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rdp5008, Aug 12, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

rdp5008

I am looking at an Apple PowerMac G5 1.6MHZ 1 GB Ram 160GB HD from craigslist.

The guy wants $200 for it. He says it turns on, but nothing happens. How much would you pay for a machine like this? What are common causes for this, is it an easy fix?

I am looking for a second computer for home use and I want something to play around with and upgrade for fun. I primarily use my Powerbook G4 for work.

2. macrumors 68040

Killyp

That's a big no-go for me.

I doubt you'd see much speed improvement over a G4, plus the early G5s were notoriously unreliable.

A second hand CoreDuo MacMini will give you better performance.

3. macrumors regular

rdp5008

Is it something I could fix? I like tinkering around with these things, and I prefer the PowerMac over the mini.

I'm also looking at some older G4 machines, so the speed isn't entirely critical.

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It could be an expensive repair, thats the problem

My G5's repair cost was 600 bucks to do the logic board.

I didn't pay that of course cuz it would be stupid.

5. macrumors regular

rdp5008

So I ended up buying the PowerMac G5 despite all of the advice from you guys on the forum! I paid significantly less than the $200 the seller was asking, so I figure if I can't get it up and running easily I can sell off the parts. (Or have a sweet looking paper weight, desk art, etc...)

160 GB HDD, 1 gig original apple ram, nice video card, original superdrive...

Stay tuned, I'll let you know what happens!