Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It almost feels like a dream...

The G5

Rumors of the G5 likely pre-date the existance of MacRumors.com. The earliest reference found in our archive was August 2000 (site began in Feb, 2000).

Today, Apple announced the PowerMac G5 -- dubbed the "world's fastest personal computer" as well as the first 64-bit personal computer.

The leaked specs were indeed accurate and Apple is offering the following configurations:

$1,999: Single 1.6GHz G5, 800MHz Bus, SuperDrive, 3 PCI, 80GB S-ATA HD
$2,399: Single 1.8GHz G5, 900MHz Bus, SuperDrive, 3 PCI-X, 160GB S-ATA HD
$2,999: Dual 2.0GHz G5, 1GHz Bus, SuperDrive, 3 PCI-X, 160GB S-ATA HD

The revamped machine contains all new hardware and subsystems... providing dramatic performance improvements over current systems. Systems will not be available until August 2003, according to Jobs.

Article Link: PowerMac G5: World's Fastest Desktop Computer

Last edited:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
The top 2 machines are amazing, the base unit is another matter. sad to say that was the market i was in, was is the key word. the top machine is awesome.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Now here's the best part: you can leave the superdrive out (in case you don't need it).

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Arn:

That title should read "world's fastest desktop computer" or something. Clearly the G5 is not the fastest computer of them all. :) Not even the dual 2.0 model.

Anyway, what was that shipping date again? Apple doesn't seem to post it clearly on their site.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Almost forgot to say that I was happy to see Apple claim 3ghz 12 months from now.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
One word: WOW.

This HAS been worth waiting for.

These are gr8 times for Apple! Way, way beyong 10% marketshare!

That would require Apple to sell something like 100 million PowerMacs. Much as I would like to see it...

andrewh

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
San Francisco
case design

Initially, I was disappointed with the case design. I thought it could have been cooler looking. But, I think it will grow on us. I like the way it looks very industrial -- clean front, no logos, etc. Mesh is awesome. The more I look at it the more I like it. I wonder if it was Jonathan Ives that designed it again.

Anyway I suppose it's what's inside that counts...

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
It looks fantastic. Apple really didn't disappoint us with this. The machine is uberpowerful and actually reasonably priced (shocking!).

That said, it looks like August isn't an incredibly realistic release month. At the Apple Store Woodfield they read a memo from Cupertino stating the G5s would arrive some time in September.

It's still an amazing machine, though...

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2003
NY
just for everyones info somethings about the 15" powerbook on the apple site have disappeared...such as the 3D views of the product...it's comin soon

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
I am VERY, VERY impressed by the specs on this machine! A 1 GHz bus, 8 GB RAM, PCI-X, serial ATA hard drives, SuperDrive standard - WOW! I'm very happy!:)

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Pro Card

At the Willow Bend store, after the keynote was done, they made quick mention of some kind of card you get if you buy a G5 at a retail store. It's called a Power Mac G5 Pro Card or something, looked like an aluminum credit card on the screen.

Apparently, it entitles you to return your G5 for any reason within 30 days. A "satisfaction guarantee" I guess. It also gives a bunch of other perks like a one time 10% discount on software, free upgrade installs, etc... (can't remember what all they said)

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
A Step Backwards in Expandability

Okay, I posted this in the Keynote thread, but as no one has thus far said anything to this effect and I feel it is an important point for discussion, I am posting it in this thread, as well.

I really could care less about the looks of the G5 (though I question the ergonomics of getting rid of the mobo hinge) -- what bothers me is the apparently cramped confines of the interior, which limits us to 1 optical drive and two hard drives, according to Apple's PowerMac 'Expandability' webpage.

Also, it appears that it may be a bit difficult to run cables from PCI cards (e.g., SCSI or ATA expansion buses) into the small hard drive bay.

I just don't understand why Apple decided to take a significant step backwards, especially since PowerMacs have been designed to easily handle more than 2 hard drives since the revision B Blue & White's.

patmcfar8

macrumors member
May 16, 2003
Reno, NV
Thumbs Up!

I can honestly say that I was impressed by everything.

Panther looks sweet. iSight is bad ass! Safari 1 seems solid. And of course the G5!

Beyond my thoughts of reality!
Is it safe to say that Apple owns the personal computer speed crown again?

This ought to put it into perspective for all of the complainers that will be bitchin' about the price: The dual 2ghz G5, $3,000, beat the pants off the Dual 3.09ghz Xeon, $4,000! I love it!

I completely stoked. And it was really strange to hear them talk about 3ghz in 12 months! Must be a great relationship between Apple and IBM right now.

The only thing missing was ANY mention of the 15" PB. I'm guessing that it's just a matter of time until they announce the G5 15" PB. Then, simply put, I will buy it.

Kudos to Apple!

rjstanford

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2002
Austin, TX
Nice. Very Nice.

Let's see. What doesn't this have? The Airport antenna is external, although not a big deal (and sticks out about as far as you'd have to have the machine off the wall for the cables anyway). Same with the Bluetooth one (no picture that I can see, but I assume it matches Airport). Hmm. I didn't see any apple branded two button mice, but that's not a big deal on a desktop. I honestly can't think of much that was rumored that isn't here.

As for what it does have that was unexpected -- USB 2.0 is nice, after all this time. The noise level is amazing, if true (and I assume that it is). The case internals are incredibly clean, almost always a sign of good design (and I love the hard drive mounts). Adding memory in pairs is a little annoying, but even if you keep the two 256mb chips you can still add 6 more of your own from crucial cheaply. This is one happy desktop.

Now, for expandability -- I wonder if you can upgrade the processors without trashing the rest of the system? This hasn't historically been an issue for Apple because, well, G4 evolution was very slow. Even if you can't, I'm still impressed, just beginning to wonder.

All in all? Very cool. Now I just have to decide if I want to get a desktop after about 4 years of being purely a laptop guy. Honestly, the new iDisk sync may make it an easier choice for me to stick with a cute little 12" G4 for road use and get the big boy for the office.

Which brings up my final gripe. Steve mentioned, specifically, the IBM roadmap for their chips. Why, oh why, can't he see that an Apple roadmap would be useful too? Ah, well. Can't have it all, I guess.

-Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.