PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Stolen Demo, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. Stolen Demo macrumors newbie

    Mar 20, 2005
    Would it be wise to grab a PowerMac G5 now?

    I'd probably be going for the Dual 1.8Ghz. I would wait, but I sorta want a new computer now. Will these next updates bear a big signifigance? Will the current Dual 1.8 run Tiger properly?

    Should I be waiting or buying? What's the expected release for these new models? June, or earlier?

  2. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Nov 30, 2004
    The current PM's will run Tiger without a hitch, so don't concern yourself with that.

    I highly doubt the new PMs will be out any later than June. June is the 1yr anniversary of the current line, which is just about antique in the computer world. Not to say that the current line is incapable, far from it, it's just not the best and brightest, as the PMs usually are

    If you can handle the wait (no more than 2.5 months), it could very well be a large update. If they were going to do a minor upgrade, they would have done so already in the same manner as the last PB upgrades (very slight processor bump, and loads of extras)

    Though you could always get a dual 2.0 refurb so you won't be too far behind after the upgrade. They're only $100 more than the stock dual 1.8.
  3. Lacero macrumors 604


    Jan 20, 2005
    The next update, Apple will drop the dual 1.8 from the lineup or at least upgrade it to dual 2.0 with 4 DIMM slots.
  4. tingkumajique macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2005
    eh? i would think they'd drop the 1.8Sps and the duals will take over as an entry model...

    but i'm not complaining if they make the Dual 2.0GHz as entries... talk about a 3.0DP is in the air...

    i am also waiting patiently for the upgrade... just sold my G4 off and sitting here in anticipation... NAB! WWDC hurry up!!
  5. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

    Nov 4, 2004
    San Diego
    I know a purchaser in our company that has mentioned recent price cuts on every G5 powermac. That usually means that Apple is trying to move units before a new release.

    If you are not in a hurry, wait until apple releases new powermacs and have your choice of paying a bit more for the latest, or getting an even better deal on the outgoing models.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    It's a highly personal decision. I'm waiting to see the next update of the Power Mac. If you can tolerate waiting, by all means wait. Hopefully the waiting means that production will meet demand.
  7. Lacero macrumors 604


    Jan 20, 2005
    Waiting is your best option now since updates are just over the horizon.
  8. zigzag macrumors member

    Apr 27, 2003
    Just sold my 1ghz tibook today too...

    Need a G5... I think I am going to wait it out as well... but the thought of waiting till the end of summer is not a pleasing one, I don't think I could do that... I hope when they release, they will be shipping shortly after.

    Of course at the latest release will be WWDC, but I sure do hope its sooner... like... in a couple of weeks :) Keeping watch for the rumors! I think a lot of Mac users are planning to upgrade to G5s this time about.
  9. iGary Guest


    May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    As always, if you have projects (especially paying ones) in front of you that you can't do without it, buy it today. :D

Share This Page