1. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    I was wondering whether or not you guys think that there will be a drop in the price of the PM bottom of the line model by the end of the summer also what do you think that it will be running at....

i want to use it for converting old family VHSs to DVD managing my music/ipod and create a storage server for my laptops in my house will what ever the bottom of the line then be suffient?

thanks in advance
  2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    imac would be sufficient for all that. I doubt you will see a price drop. I bottom line should get faster, but the price of the lowest offering should be the same, possibly even higher.
  3. unixkid macrumors member

Jan 25, 2004

an iMac would be great for that. u could also get a refurbed dual powermac for a low price.

i have a daul 1ghz G4 with 570gigs packed in it and i host an FTP server, SAMBA server, printer server, and a website on it, and can get 400+ fps in Quake 3 all at the same time! the G4 is a great cpu u dont realy need a G5 for normal use. if u get a G4 it should be at least 800mhz preferably a dual G4
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Re: Powermac G5

I think you will see those powermacs back at $1699 soon,Apple allways charges more for introduced products. as far as those G4 comments go if you are going to spend big money do you really want a cpu that is on the way out? I wouldnt. a base model G5 will do everything and more.
  5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    seriously, the price difference between a refurb dual G4 and even a single 1.6 G5 is minimal. Better performance and internal guts in the G5.
  6. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Converting VHS to DVD is processor-intensive. G4s on video are pokey. From what I hear, that's a good application for G5 muscle. And lots of fast serial ATA hard drive space will help too. Refurb 1.6 is $1349, refurb 1.8 is $1699. They'll probably stay at these prices until they sell out, and new G5s aren't going to be cheaper than that.
  7. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    If you're looking into a powermac G4 you can get a dual 1.42GHz at Small dog for $1899 refurbished and $1999 new.
  8. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    i definately think that i will go G5 for two reasons, first because it is a tower it can be upgraded more easily and because it is faster....

what about this:
    when the rev. b or rev. c come out what do you think that the bottom for the line of the previous version will be.... that could save me some money and i would still get a good amount of proformance..
  9. machem macrumors member

Sep 4, 2003
    Stockton/Sacramento CA

single 1.8GHz G5, $1899 (new) at Apple Store special deals. --- Looks like a reaction/clearance to get rid of these --- "Discount applied at checkout".

dual 1.8GHz G5, $1899 (refurb, sometimes show up) at Apple Store special deals.
  10. djniche macrumors regular

Apr 10, 2002
    I was wondering where you have seen these prices for the refurb G5. I'm looking for a G5 .. 1.6 and that would be a great price for it..

would it be worth it to wait for a new g5 to bring the price of the 1.6? when do you guys think that these updates will happen??

buy now or wait??
  11. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    for me it is not a question of whether to wait or not for me it is when i will have enough money to buy one... LOL

I=Poor @ss

12. mvc macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2003
    If you want to still be using the machine in 5 years, I would definitely suggest a Powermac over a iMac, not only for the obvious performance/upgradeabilty reasons, but also because the G5 a new design, and so is the rest of the motherboard, and most of whats plugged into it AFAIK.

Its pretty clear the G4 imac is soon coming to its end.

Apple has tendency to stop supporting end of life technologies fairly quickly in OS X, (Beige G3 not supported by OS X, G3's can't run Applications that require Altivec, Quartz Xtreme and older graphics cards, you get the picture…) so its better to have the latest configuration if you want it to last and remain updateable.

Of course, you could wait for the G5 iMac Trapezoid with holographic display coming next week…:p
  13. machem macrumors member

Sep 4, 2003
    Stockton/Sacramento CA

You have to check the Apple Store frequently under "Special Deals". They show up a few at a time, and they are dynamically linked, if 10 are available, and 10 people order them in fifteen minutes, they are gone.