PowerMac G5...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bux, Aug 15, 2004.

1. bux macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2004

I'm a bit confused about this, I'm thinking about buying a Rev B PowerMac and I have read on a lot of pages that PCI Express is going to replace AGP soon.
    So, my question is: Will the PowerMac G5 be that upgradable... I mean if nvidia and ati starts to make all their graphics cards for the PCI Express then the new PowerMac will be "out of date" quite soon.
    Am I thinking correct or is PCI Express cards backwards compatible with AGP 8x?
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    PCI Express cards ARE NOT backwards compatible with AGP. They use a different connector as well as 16 serial channels of communication as opposed to the parallel connection used by PCI/AGP cards. At least the next generation of cards will be available with AGP as well as PCIe.
  3. bux thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2004
    Okay, but now when I think about it.
    The latest GeForce card... it will take a few years before it's starting to get old, so I guess it's not a real problem anyway :)
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Note that, as of now, PCI-Express isn't any faster than AGP video cards. That might very well change, but I don't expect a near-term shift to PCI-Express graphics cards - especially on Macs. This might very well be different for PCs.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Don't worry, as soon as you buy a new Rev. B PowerMac G5 you can expect Apple to release the 2nd generation PowerMac G5 (or the Power5-UL) about a month after you buy your new machine -- or 11 days after you unbox your new machine.

It's probably have DDR2, PCI-Express video, and either PCI-X or PCI-Express expansion slots.

Sometime between now and MWSF, or at MWSF.

Apple has some other machines to introduce and get past the initial shipping glitches first though.
  6. bux thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2004
    hehe, yeah... new machines are always coming.
    But I'm thinking about buying a new computer within a month, because I really want to throw this PC away (yes, I'm writing this message on a PC... well atleast not a windows PC).

hmmm... well, if the new iMac will be good (i.e. not like the current rumor) I might even grab one of those instead of a PowerMac :)
  7. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Also most people don't even upgrade their video cards. Even on my old PC I'm still using the original Geforce 3 on it. Because even if I upgraded it, the Pentium III 800Mhz will possibly be more of a bottleneck.

The only real update of a video card I have done was a Voodoo3 to a Radeon 9000, just because XP behaves weirdly with a Voodoo.
  8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    PCI-Express does have one distinct advantage for nVidia cards though: nvidia SLI technology.

If you're not urgent to get a top of the line gaming computer, this probably doesn't matter to you anyway. Also, if you're an ATI fan like me, they plan on introducing dual core cards rather than making customers have to buy two cards.
  9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    Yeah, PCI Express x16 is now just used for workstation cards, and isn't used to its full potential. Its like serial ata, not used fully, but implimented now for future use. I have a feeling the G5, having so many next gen technolodies, will include a PCI express slot, even if it isn't usable.
  10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    to change direction a little:

What sorts of G5 improvements do you expect in January/February??

All I can think of are processor jumps (2.5, 2.7, 3.0) and a faster superdrive. I doubt Apple is going to put in a gig of RAM anytime soon. The 9600 is a good base video card so no need to bump that up. Maybe bluetooth built in?