PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KidLoco, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. KidLoco macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2004
    #1
    I'm looking to purchase a G5 DP 1.8 very soon. I looked at the buyers guide and it said the product is in mid-cycle. I'm debating if I should wait for the next generation of G5's or should I take the plunge in early November?

    Thoughts?
    (I'm currently running a G4 733mhz single processor) I only use this computer to run Logic Pro 6, Reason, Recycle, and Bias Peak.

    My new G5 would also be dedicated to audio. (powerbook handles internet stuff)
     
  2. jestershinra macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2004
    #2
    Depends on your needs. I don't forsee any speed bumps- they're having enough trouble w/ the 2.5's.

    PCI-Express is a possibility...but that would mean a logic board redesign, effectively making it a Rev. A.

    16x or 8x double layer dvd burners are possible....but those can be had externally for around $250.

    I bought one around a month ago, and I've no regrets. I don't forsee any updates worth waiting for, really.
     
  3. tech4all macrumors 68040

    tech4all

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2004
    Location:
    NorCal
    #3
    Yea I agree, I doubt Apple is going to update the Power Mac G5 anytime, at least not with the processor. The PM G5 was just updated in June (when I got mine :D ), so it seems a bit soon, (3-4 months). Computers keep on getting better and better. You can wait all you want, but eventully you're just going to have to give in and pick a time to purchase. I say go for it, but even if they did update them, it's still a great machine.

    Good luck! :D
     
  4. krafix macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #4
    Same dilemna here!

    I'm in the exact same position... My G4 getting a bit old but I'm wander if the G5s might get updated at MWSF in January. It would be such a turnoff to buy in late december (as I plan to) and see a new rev a month later. And no one seems to have a clue on the roadmap for the G5. Thing is, buying before the end of the year would be useful on my income tax report since I'm a freelancer. Any idea on what's (not) coming?
     
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #5
    Just have to make a point for those in the look for a new machine, Apple seems to have moved to a 9-12 month update on its product cycles so timing is even more important then it was before.
     
  6. panic macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Location:
    dallas, tx
    #6
    same exact thing. i'm planning to buy a dual 1.8 in december and plan to write off for investment purposes.
     
  7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

    jared_kipe

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2003
    Location:
    Seattle
    #7
    I would think we can expect new powermacs in the early part of 05, either Jan or Feb. But there was a sudden upgrade last year, so perhaps we will see something in nov/dec. If they are released at a major event, they probably won't ship for awhile.
     
  8. krafix macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #8
    What about the theory that since Powerbook/iBook updates would definitely be in the works for MWSF (and would be THE major announcement), if Apple wants to update/speed-bump the G5s, it would rather be somewhere in december or later in February/March? I even read it could stay as is for many months... Is that possible?
     
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #9
    If the 9 - 12 month update cycle continues, then we may not see an upgrade until the March to June time frame. Only Apple knows for sure. With the back log of G5's shipping it would seem unlikely for an update anytime soon.
     
  10. Mac2004 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    #10
    If possible, see if you can find a rev A model of the PowerMac G5 (dual 1.8). It had a much larger hard drive, more memory slots, PCI-X, etc. I was told that this one was bettter than the current 1.8 model.
     
  11. Metoyou macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2004
    Location:
    UK
    #11
    Okay to sum this up could someone give me a rough list of what's likely to be updated?
     
  12. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #12
    That is certainly the $10 million question. It would be nice if Apple would let us know. So far no real rumors about the G5 for MWSF. Would like to hear if someone has an opinion.
     
  13. krafix macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #13
    Oops, something new to consider today! Does this G5-PBG4/Quark promo mean MWSF updates are a sure bet since it ends on the opening day? Although, concerning the Pbook, the next-days-upcoming-updates rumors seem off the mark now with this new promo suggesting Apple wants to clear inventories til then. And I still just don't know when to buy my G5 system... december too close to MWSF? Should we take this new promo as a clear indicator to wait a bit? What's your bet?
     
  14. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #14
    It ends up if you keep waiting for the next update, you would end up never buying. Not easy, but it's best to buy what you need when you have an need.

    In the case of krafix and panic when it's for business and it means a tax deduction, then buying prior to the end of December makes sense.
     
  15. segundo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    #15
    I totally agree. In fact, I go nuts until I actually have my new Apple product in hand. I just keep thinking "is this the best I can do right now? Will I be able to do everything I want with it?" Eventually you have to bite the bullet and just do it. I honestly wish I would have done that a year ago. Yes, something better will come out for the same money or less. However, I just lost all that time not using a superior setup. Doh!
     

Share This Page