Powermac G5's are they "quiet"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jc0481, Aug 8, 2005.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2005
    Just wondering if anybody has a powermac g5 and are they whisper quiet?? I hope somebody has some information as I am looking into buying one.Thanks
  2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    I have a D2.7ghz its very quite when its not doing much, ie internet, itunes etc, but as soon as i do something more challenging, MP3/DVD encoding, FCP or Motion the fans kick in and it get a bit louder. This is much better than the constant drone of my old G4.
  3. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    Our uni's PM G5 is quite quiet, but as others have stated it does make a bit of noise when multi-tasking or running programs with high CPU loads. Our PM is in the electronic music composition studio, so if musicians can deal with it, it is prob more than quiet enough for everyone else. :cool:
  4. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I think the only current Mac you'll find is close to whisper quiet would be the Mac mini.
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Don't forget the portables. The iBooks and the PowerBooks are dead silent (until the fans come on, that is, but that's also the case with the minis). :)
  6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2004
    Quiet PowerMacs

I dont have any trouble sleeping just a few feet from my PowerMac. Sometimes its running Handbrake (DVD -> XVid/H.264 program) and I can hear it, but I personally have no probs sleeping through it!

They are fantastic machines, have not looked back after the switch! :)

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Mine is "silent as the grave". :)

Heck, my HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop makes much more noise
    than my Power Mac G5.
  8. Patch^ macrumors regular

Mar 11, 2005
    Great Britain
    My college's G5s are always quiet when doing things like the Internet, word processing and even tasks like Photoshop and iMovie. Its when applications such as FCP, After Affects and Games when the fans can become a bit loud and even when they do it's considerably quiet compared to my old PC.

However I have heard them get loud once or twice with all (9) fans going, but I think that was because they were left on 24/7 in a really humid room lol.
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    The same case here. Even when running heavy-duty games (ie- Doom III) my Power Mac G5 is still very quite compared to my former peecee (running m$ Word :rolleyes: ).
  10. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2005
    Thanks for your help

I never thought these forums were going to be a lot of help. I'm glad I was wrong. Soon will purchase my powermac g5.Thanks
  11. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    A friend of mine has a Rev D PB 17" and no matter what you give it....It stays dead silent...........I have never heard the fans :eek: :eek: :D
  12. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I wouldn't say the PowerMacs are whisper quiet, since it really depends on where you put it. But I'll say it's quiet enough that I have it on my desktop right behind my LCD monitor. The noise blends in with its surroundings. If I were to put it underneath my desk on carpeting, I probably wouldn't hear it as much.

The PM G5 is definitely much much quieter than my old G4 quicksilver even running at a paltry 867 Mhz.
  13. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    SF Bay Area, California

It depends on your energy saver settings and what you're doing on it.

If you're doing anything processor intensive while it's set to automatic (or esp. highest), the fans can get sorta noisy. If you run say distributed.net rc5 client on it and set it to highest, within a minute, the CPU fans will be running at full (very loud). Full hurricane mode is **VERY** loud (if your machine hangs, if you hit a kernel panic, or if you run something that doesn't provide fan control).

While idle and no load, it's pretty darn quiet.
  14. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
  15. toothpaste macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    My PM is relatively quite. Anything cpu intensive sustained for a while will cause the fans to kick on.
  16. Rob0711 macrumors member

Apr 27, 2005
    the fans are quite. even on full load they are far away from the noise levels of the old dual g4´s or most bigger pc units... yet i´d call the high pitched noise (most) powermacs make when fully using the gpu or being on high load noisy... my psu is as well beeping most of the time (but there are lots of posts regarding this topic) i just thought i´d drop it in
  17. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
    I have a dual G5 at 2.0 GHz, even in 1,5 hour DVD rendering the fans were not going in higher gear! This is the reason I went for the lowest power consuming G5.

IE it is very, very quiet.
  18. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I have a Dual 1.8 GHz G5, and it's very quiet. I use it almost exclusively for Final Cut Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro, and Photoshop, and the fans rarely speed up, even when rendering. It's the quietest full size desktop I've ever used.
  19. cmx macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2005
    we use about 20 g5's at school at the same time, all of them running either Final Cut Pro or Photoshop, and we can actually whisper and still hear each other. these machines are very silent indeed
  20. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2004
    Missouri, USA
    i use a dual 1.8 G5, and my only complaint is the HDD noise. Its a maxtor 160 sata that came with it. and its loud. if you put your hand on the case you can feel it when its accessing! :eek: other than that its very quiet. The fans dont make much noise when i use photoshop, or other demanding program. Its dead quit compared to my custom built computer. the video card fan, and south bridge chip fan make so much noise, along with 4 other 80mm fans.
  21. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    SF Bay Area, California
    it can be loud

For those who think the PM G5 is quiet, try downloading and running the distributed.net rc5 client at http://www1.distributed.net//download/clients.php w/your energy saver settings on highest. It's still not quite full hurricane mode though as only the CPU fans seem to be at full.
  22. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    I've not noticed the fans kick in yet, and i'm always on photoshop, flash, motion, final cut, even shake. My powerbook NEVER puts its fans on even using motion and shake, and the ol' mini is quieter than a whisper. doesn't make any noise. i keep holding it to my ear wandering if it's on or not!
  23. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    My PowerMac G5 isn't silent, but it's very quiet relative to other desktop computers i've been around.
  24. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    I have the same. Very quiet beast. :) Sometimes when I get it out of sleep, the fans (or something) does a little V8 rev.. lol :p