PowerMac G5's Memory...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PowerMacMan, Jun 14, 2004.

1. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

I want to get more Memory for my PowerMac G5, as I have one on CTO that has 512 so far... However, I don't want to buy from Apple since it's way overpriced... So someone gave me this link MacSolutions (I'm looking at the 1GB memory option for $170) I am wondering if this is the exact same memory that Apple offers if I were to buy from them... i.e. same brand? :confused:

I hear of a lot of problems with non-Apple RAM so I want this to be the same RAM Apple uses if I were to order from them...

I know that the specs are the same but what about the BRAND of the memory? :confused:

2. vkapoormd macrumors member

I think either viking, kingston, or ramjet (ramjet.com) are all good options; i purchased extra ram for my powerbook from ramjet, and have had no problems; they were actually recommended by an apple employee to me.
    good luck

3. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

The word around is that "Crucial" ram is the best apple ram to use. I have 2 512 sticks sitting at my house ready for the new g5, they just came in yesterday.

I would suggest ordering from a site such as mwave.com or newegg.com. You get really good prices on high quality ram at these places.

4. PowerMacMan thread starter macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

So I'm getting the vibe that Apple doesn't use a specific RAM Brand... or is it made by them... or is it a secret? :cool:

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Crucial and OWC are the two names that are respected here. i just bought a 1gb Samsung for my 12" PB rev. B for $359.95.

You are looking at $186 to $250 depending on the memory you choose.

7. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

I'm not going to get any of the RAM models you guys announced...

I'm going to take a chance and take one of the less-famous brands......

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I might as well bookmark this thread in case you decide to start a new thread later that just happens to be memory related.

BTW, I hear Wally World has their own store brand stuff made at a sneaker factory in some small 3rd world country.... good stuff if you're looking for something with that used shoe smell. :p

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Why even look at this thread then? Just don't ask us to tech support your RAM then.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish ram would be cheaper from the quality brands. It seems like memory doesn't go down in price as fast like it did back in the old days. Memory needs to be about 1/4 the price of what it cost today.

11. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

Are you on PMS? Calm down, it was just a statement. No need to be so anal.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Nope, sorry if you took it the wrong way. Some of us learned the hard way that not all RAM is created equal.

13. svenr macrumors regular

No, Apple does not make their own RAM. They just use different vendors at different times. That may even change within one product, i.e. your G5 and my G5 don't necessarily have the exact same RAM. Just pull the RAM sticks out of a few Macs, look at the chips and you'll see...

And in my opinion brand really doesn't matter that much with RAM. I've bought tons of generic RAM over the years, almost all from OWC <eshop.macsales.com>. Never had a problem. Plus, OWC knows their stuff and gives you lifetime warranty for even their cheapest RAM.

Think about it, even expensive brands like Kingston may design their own sticks and give you good warranty, but they don't MAKE their own chips. RAM chips are traded on the spot market almost like commodities as steel or wheat. The brand manufacturer then slaps their logo on the chip and puts it into their stick.

Can bad RAM happen on brand modules? Sure it can. Is it more likely with generic RAM? I'd say not necessarily unless the stick circuitry is sloppily designed. And, as I said, in this regard I have a lot of trust in OWC.

14. PowerMacMan thread starter macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

Thanks very much, you enlightened me on all I wanted to know... :D