PowerMac Hard Drives N Stuff...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Patch^, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Patch^ macrumors regular

When it comes to adding an additional Hard Drive to a PowerMac G5 does it have to be a "IBM (Hitachi) Deskstar 7K" or can it be any SATA i.e. Maxtor, Seagate or Samsung etc.

Finally can anyone recommend me some decent 5.1 optical speakers at a reasonable price? or a 5.1 sound card for Mac.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Apple uses different brands of SATA drives in the different PowerMac revisions, so you can add any brand of SATA drive you want in there.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

The Maxtors that come with are noisy as hell.

Get an additional Seagate - nice and quiet.

4. Patch^ thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I was thinking of getting a seagate :) thanks iGary. On a side note does anyone have any 5.1 speakers they would recommend for a powermac?

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yeah, I second that. I just put a Seagate in my Cube, and the thing is silent. Even when it's under heavy load I can barely hear it.

Of course, in the Cube quiet is important... in a Powermac... well, I'm sitting next to a G5 now, and they're noisy as hell.

6. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

This used to be the case. I have a Maxtor 250GB that is almost totally silent. Very fast and nice drive. It revamps my opinion of Maxtor which used to be pretty low.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Well the one in my three-week-old PM is the loudest I have ever heard.

Probably ready to blow up.

8. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I'm holding out to upgrade my Powermac G5's Hard drive. Hitachi have just released a 500gb SATA drive and they are the first to do so. I'm waiting for Seagate to do the same and I plan to snap up 2. 1Tb of internal storage here we come! I just don't really trust hitachi drives from all the horror stories of 'Deathstars' (A play on Deskstar, Hitachi's name for the drives)

So another vote for Seagate from me. I believe they have a 5 year warranty and have always behaved well for me. They're usually very quiet too.

9. nickgoldman macrumors member

Does anyone know if the powermac can support the 500gb hitachi drive
    or what the maximum size is

10. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I am on mine, I muted my music as I read your post and I can't even hear it making a sound (other than a light fan running, but very quietly)

11. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I am pretty sure it can, as the max is 1TB over two bays. (check apple site.)

12. RobHague macrumors 6502

I checked my system specs and i have a Maxtor drive in mine. 250Gb like pubwjv and its pretty quiet. I mean i cant hear it over the fan noise the G5 makes normally.

But i did have a 160GB maxtor once i had in my main pc, that wasent the quietest drive in the world.

I think thats just down to the fact that Apple's BTO's go upto a max of 2x400GB

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I put a Western Digital in mine, works great. Any SATA drive will do.

14. link92 macrumors 6502

The limit is 144PB for each drive, so 288PB max. (1 Pegabyte = 1,000,000 Gigabytes).

I had 2 Maxtor's go wrong in my G5 after 4 days. They got replaced under warranty and I now have two Hitachi Deskstars (250GB each), no complaints about them.