PowerMac heat and fire protection

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by arogge, Feb 19, 2003.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I'm concerned about leaving a dual-1.25 GHz PowerMac G4 FW 800 system running continuously and unattended, with one CPU working at close to 100% capacity. What happens if the cooling system fails or there is some other mechanical failure? Does the system have redundancies in place that can prevent overheating and a potential fire?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I can't really comment about your machine specifically, but I know the CRT iMacs are designed to automatically shut down if they get too hot. I would imagine apple had similar safeties in place across the product line and have continued it.

I know thats not a definitive answer, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

3. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

i have the 1.25 Ghz DP and it will shut down when it gets too hot. But having the processor running at near 100% all the time cant be good for it.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, the processor is always running in a PowerMac (when it's turned on of course). When it isn't running any application, it runs an idle loop which measures CPU idle time/percentage.

Solid state electronics were designed to run continuously as long as they don't overheat.

5. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

u will be ok. how else do i run SETI all the time?

6. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k