PowerMac + Imac build times are increasing!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Falleron, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Anyone been to apple online stores recently?

Build time for iMac is 15 days + 7 days for the PowerMac (in the UK at least)! Looks definate that new models are coming out! We knew this anyway though, nice to have some definate indication that its going to happen.

NB. The ibook Combo also has an order time of a week??
    Also, the powerbook has a 15 day wait??

What is going on?

[Edited by Falleron on 12-22-2001 at 06:48 PM]

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

new gear

they could be gearing up for a new line of products at macworld san francisco

but if all it ends up being just speed bumps, i won't mind if they can hit 1 ghz on the g4 and the ibook and approach that speed on their two laptops

but i am hoping, speculating, assuming, or whatever...for that lcd imac and or that g5 and as tired as some posters are of the speculation that has been going all all december, the noise will be even louder if apple pulls off one of both of these rumored products

other cool things could be a major os x update and a new size lcd monitor

price reductions also help, too

3. dantec macrumors 6502a

Do you think

We will see a new appleworks at Macworld... There is a rebate... Just an idea!

4. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Strange

I just went to http://www.apple.com to have a look at the build times over there in america to compare that with the UK. According to that an imac in america takes 1-2 days, but here in the UK the build time is 15 days!!

5. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

perhaps they are still cleaning out here in the homeland, but just not shipping out of the states unless orders come in.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

7. dantec macrumors 6502a

How old is Appleworks?

I would like to see (once the contract with M$ is over) Apple buy out all the engineers of the Macintosh buisness team and make them work on a next version of Appleworks and make it 50x better than the original office!

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in a perfect world that would be great and i agree

but ms has too much leverage over apple and we all know it...do you think that apple suddenly fell in love with microsoft?

ms may be evil, but if not that, they certainly wedge their way into everything that is cool in IT

btw, congrats in advance on 100

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Microsoft

as evil as Microsoft may be, if there's a company to affiliate with for profit, it's them...

10. samy85114 macrumors regular

it seems they are preparing for a big change, but maybe not, if we look at all last keynotes they already did the same move than right now... well as far as i remember.
    But like you all, i'm just waiting for G5, lcd imac...etc.
    That's why we are waiting for, isn't it??

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

re: microsoft

business affiliations always favor microsoft

dell almost got hammered into having to use windows exclusively or else microsft would give their new release operating systems to compaq, hp and emachines first

...but from what i read in the news, dell fought back and microsoft did not try to strongarm dell again...that and at the time the us government was going after bill gates and his ways

make no mistake, while microsoft got reprimanded they will try to pull more tricks but a little less agressively

their "partnership" with apple on the gui-os thing and and novell on the networking-os thing and digital research on the computer languages vs os /non compete thing all only came up in microsoft's favor

...some say to the point that microsoft only worked with those companies to steal their stuff and copy it and make it in their own microsoft image

those three companies i mentioned above were not known for their business saavy and apple is still considered a joke in the business sector in silicon valley, yet their business model is still better than woz giving away the technology for free like he once suggested until steve jobs realized there was some business potential

thank god the apple machines that woz cooked up didn't become only some unknown pet project of the homebrew computer club

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Apple's business history has been one of the more popular study cases with business schools...they are definitely known for not being savvy.

Microsoft is the big dog, and will always be. I think they take something from everyone and make it their own. And they will continue to do this until they have completely saturated the market with their products (which is pretty much the case already!).

Do u think Apple & Microsoft will make the move to allow the future of X run on chips other than Motorola's? Or do u think this could kill Apple?

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

RE: CASE STUDIES

my business school pounded the case study so intensely that one of its students took it to heart and now he is the president of microsoft (rick belluzo - golden gate university, san francisco, ca)

what we need is someone who understands the case study method, but in practice, to come take over apple one day

steve jobs is the number two god of apple, woz being the top god, but that does not make them automatic businessmen, but it does make them inventors and/or visionaries

we would not have had a personal computer based silicon valley without those two so their spot in IT history is secured for all time

...but give me the business mind of a michael dell, larry ellison, or bill gates any day to run apple (of course, they didn't have to go to business school or even finish college for that matter, they had the case study method hardwired in their genetic code and that's what made them start their empires while they were all still in puberty)

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Jobs the "visionary"

yeah...Steve Jobs definitely is the "visionary" for Apple.

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Build Times

Just a guess, but do the UK build times include something that has to do with oversea transport (parts/materials)? I have small stuff shipping from overseas, and because of 9-11, I cant get anything through the red tape at the border. Stuff that used to take 3 days now takes 3 weeks, no joke. Just a guess.

Also, Dantec, now that you are a senior member, you need to take another look at your signature and fix your grammatical error. Do you know what it is? :)

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Build Times

1) I would imagine the time accounts for shipping as well.

2) I've been looking at that signature for so long but didn't want to say anything!

17. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Dantec

1. I was thinking that may be the problem

2. Lets see if he catches it........

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

don't pick on dantec

he is only 13 and from switzerland

how many languages does everyone here speak?

i bet dantec could easily speak french, german, and italian

19. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Dantec

I hope he can tell its all in fun. Its only because he's a big boy now. 100+ If he's as smart as he appears, he should be able to take some joking.

Anyone ever reached 1000? Wonder what that is? Godlike member?

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think so for 1000

there is a possibility of that with either anonymous poster or anonymous coward from the early days, assuming if they are one and the same person and if they are also one of the senior members of today

as you know, some of the posters used to have different handles and they simply re-reister so it's hard to tell who has most

on another IT site, i am jefhatfield and jeff hatfield, but only because they lost track of my password and they had to have me re=fegister only to find my old passwaord and identiry

ik, i am getting tiire of typing...must go now

21. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I dont think I have the time nor the patience to answer two different name's posts

22. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

non Motorola?

I think the poster asking if Apple would port OS X to non-Motorola meant non-PPC. As it is, OS X works fine on IBM-PPC equipped Macs. IBM and Motorola PPC chips (with exception of AltiVec-specific stuff) should be completely code-compatible. Someone enlighten me if that isn't the case. As far as non-PPC, there has been a clamor for Apple to put OS X on Intel, but I don't see there being a huge demand for such a thing given no Macs run on Intel chips and that PCs already have Linux and all that mess, it couldn't be so profitable for Apple to pursue such a course unless they intended to bail out of PPC processors which I don't forsee any time soon.

23. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my replies

Hopefully Dantec won't take offense to that post. Like agreenster said, it's all in fun. I'm definitely not here to make fun of anyone.

I was referring to non PowerPC chips. Thank u for clarifying that Xapplimatic. Like I said in a previous post somewhere around here, it's hard to keep my thoughts in complete order while I'm working. ;)

24. dantec macrumors 6502a

Ok...

Actually I can speak 3 launguages... and am starting on my 4th. English, French & German. I am starting to learn italian!

I was thinking of changing my signature... You would only understand it if you had read one of my earlier posts (back in the days when I had 20 posts!).

What is the gramatical error?

I was gonna change it anyway... What do you guys suggest!

Geez i'm only 13, not an english teacher!

25. dantec macrumors 6502a

Ok, I now changed...

My signature has been changed... what do you guys think?

If you guys don't like it tell me... and be honest this time!