powermac in line mic is not working!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by absolutmp5, Jul 20, 2005.

1. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

well im using garageband and ive setup the entire system so that i can use my inline microphone jack on the back of my system. i did go to sound preferences and everything and when im ready to try record in garageband theres nothing at all. So i then check garageband to see if its preferences are in the inline for the input settings, and they are. So i double check system preferences sound settings, same story. I even tried the voice command module and its not picking up anything. What should i do whats wrong!!!!

2. savar macrumors 68000

savar

What kind of powermac? Most G4s dont even have an line-level input. In sound preferences you can see if you're getting input. Are you? You can also increase the gain, I believe. Maybe yours is set too low. Also, a mic into a line-level input isn't going to be very loud anyway. You really need a mic-level input. I have a griffin iMic which is pretty old but at least allows for the input to be switched between line-level and mic-level.

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You do have a track in Garageband to record the line-in?
    I remember making this mistake first time I used GB.

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Thing is, you need a pre-amplified mike. If yours isn't, then you won't get an input at all.

5. absolutmp5 thread starter macrumors regular

im just using the head set microphone, not standalone microphone