PowerMac Inventory: Zero, New PowerMacs on the Way...

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Aug 9, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    According to reports, Ingram Micro is down down to 0 (zero) inventory on current PowerMacs. As well, new SKU's have been added that are not yet available to resellers.

PowerMac supplies have been dwindling over the past few weeks.

Previously expected at MacWorld expo, word leaked that updates should not be expected until mid August. According to CNet, these new PowerMacs will sport "processors in excess of 1.2GHz, along with faster memory and a faster system bus".
  2. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002
    MOOOOOOO !!!

I need a new powermac, and NOW!! (for college) I refuse to be stuck with yesteryear's tech !
  3. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002

I really hope they come out the 13th, because I will be forced to do something drastic like go to the other side if they dont, come on apple.. come ooooonn...
  4. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    You will pay dearly.

Why else would these rumors be wrong? Apple can't afford to ship any later, as people like yourself have waited long enough. Although many of us were :mad:^2 about no new PowerMacs at the NY Expo I think the wait will be well deserved.
  5. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002

I really hope your right, it's jus that I've sat out the last few months on a duron 1 Ghz, and a Beige G3 333Mhz, and the duron's been looking awful nice.. I mean, put it up against a G4 1.2 Ghz, and bam, but still.. Dual AMDs, for the price, are veeeerrry tempting, and I've been a mac user for my whole frikin life... I dont want to go to the dark side damn it.. help, please ? (hope ?)
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2001
    How do you tolerate Windows,cyberfunk? You'll be floating in front of your screen like a damned soul.. :D
  7. macrumors regular

May 28, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Re: Furthermore

no offense to you personally... but i hate comments like this. you might as well say "If Mercedes doesn't come out with a twin-engined 600hp convertible next week, I'm going to buy a Ford Mustang"

yeah..i am sick of the car clichés too, but couldn't think of anything else.:D
  8. macrumors regular

May 12, 2002
    Kennebunk, Maine, USA

Hang in there, I really think we will see these new machines within 4 days. I am a pc and Mac user, and from what I am hearing the school buying spree has started, Apple *needs* to offer something new soon.

Mid august would work, this would give a 2 week or so shipping date :]

Question, OT, had anyone had experience with Sound stucks and the iSub ? Is it worth the 200$ to buy them for my Cube and replace the round standard speakers? I do watch all my dvd's on the Cube.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, Funk you won't be happy going to a pc after using a mac all your life, stick with Macs :D
  9. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    >car clichés

I wouldn't have that much info on cars, so I'm not that offended.

Megaquad, how can his soul even be damned if he doesn't have one when switching to peecees? Still Plates owns 95% (or whatever the GD number is) of computer user souls. With SJ, you get a more powerful soul and you start to hate soulless people (called trolls). :D

I have some ideas on what will happen soon, but I am wondering what will happen with prices. I did say a while back that IF the new PowerMacs (the upcoming ones) did have DDR-RAM and these new processors, the prices would go way up. I'm still looking forward to $3499 being the ABSOLUTE HIGHEST, but I have a bad feeling about the price going higher...

This is one of those times you want to be proved wrong. :cool:
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    So what are the current bets on when the new pmacs will be delievered. You know what would be funny, we should have a birthday pool, ie. Pick a date and time that the new powermacs are released and whoever is closest wins the pool.

Not very practical, but hey

My bet is Monday at 10:35 Pac time.
  11. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I'll say the morning at 12AM (0:00 for our metric friends) on August 13.

daRAT, did you check your PM?
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2001
    It's my freaking birthday!
  13. macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2002
    To daRAT

I just bought the Monsoon Planar 9 2.1 system for 100 bucks. They use flat panel ribbon technology for the satellites and a 38watt subwoofer.

I've never heard the soundstiks, but for $100, these Monsoon sound great.

Especially the sub.
  14. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    >It's my freaking birthday!

Happy freakin' birthday. Now quit spamming! :p

Attached Files:

15. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002
    dark side

It's just that.. the duron is so frikin fast compared to my poor beige, even tho,m tho BSD's DO annoy the ell out me, but then the game are better, but I love mac, and I own stock, oh dear... I really really want apple to give me a reason, any reason to stay with the mac, I need new hardware, apple, and I need it NOW
  16. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    Re: To daRAT

I think that's what I'm going to get. See my thread on that here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=9149
    :p :D :p :D
  17. macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    The Sound Sticks are great, nice full sound and kickin' base. Whether they're worth $200 is open for discussion. They fit in well with the whole Apple look, and is why I'd buy them, but you can get the JBL Sonnet speakers for half the price and there isn't most difference in sound quality. The JBL's require a 1/8" plug so I'm not sure if they'll even work with the Cube. I haven't seen a Cube in a while so I'm not sure.
  18. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
  19. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    No, they won't work with the cube. You have to get an iMic.
    Now back to the original topic please...

PS: KC, your link is bad. It is kinda wierd that this discussion on the same day that I make that thread!
  20. macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2002
    Los Angeles

I have the soundsticks at work and monsoon at home, i must say that the sub is better in the SS, but the actual speakers are MUCH better coming from the flat panel monsoon. And i have found that the SS plug into USB, they are limited to onll be used in a mac, no stereo use...AND they crash the USB hub every other week ( any and all hubs I try it on, even plugged directly into the computer)..Go for the monsoon, unless you are inlove with the SS design.
  21. macrumors member

May 27, 2002
    I got mine as an engagement present from my other half when they first came out, in my experience they are the best speakers i've ever heard on a mac, I cant recommend them enough!
  22. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002

This is a thread about new powermacs people... but since everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.. I'm going to be hypocritical, and say that cambridge soundworks stuff ROX.
  23. macrumors newbie

May 21, 2002
    Madison, AL
    Thought about AMD...for a second

Nice to read a hot rumor about the (hopefully) near arrival of new PowerMacs. I'd been thinking about a fast AMD machine to use as a background production unit, churning out big images in Photoshop before networking them over to my underpowered Mac for layout and export.

The allure on the Wintel / WinAmd side is that you can upgrade the guts of the machine at the drop of a hat (and several hundred bucks). Sometimes, you coast along with an older machine and then work comes in that taxes it to death. What do you do? Buy a whole new machine? Or, like the PCers, just drive over to a parts store and buy the fastest new mobo...

It's the OS, and the stability of day-to-day ops that keeps me loyal to the Mac OS.
  24. macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    Jigsaw24 were advertising the entry level way below the normal price in Sound on Sound this month and some of the other larger mail order companies have reduced the prices aswell once I had look at their online stores.

Either Apple are about to update the Powermacs or they've decided to just lower the prices because the dollar has lost a little against the pound over the past month or so. The iMac price reduction in the UK seems to be just an exchange rate issue and the price reductions some mac dealers are offering just put the UK prices inline with the US apple store prices.

I could be reading too much into it thinking that lower prices indicate a new range is coming out but the fact it's been over 6 months since new powermacs were released has got to mean they're bringing something out soon. They've upgraded everything else in the range since January 28th.

Make that the 15th, my 25th birthday and exactly 4 years to the day since the iMac came out :D
  25. macrumors 603

Re: Thought about AMD...for a second

I am a Mac advocate all the way but using peecees for specific dedicated purposes does make sense and hooking it to the ethernet network is a good way to manage the data coming into the mac for final processing.

Whether it be data collection, photoshop processing, linotype ripping or whatever, there are times where a low price CPU makes sense over the workstation beauty of a Mac.

Since Apple is not targeting these vertical applications with an LC+ type CPU it does make sense.

However I think we can agree the master CPU and every major user CPU should be a Mac. And now that Mac servers are the most economical on the planet, any high bandwidth or mass-storage should be driven via the Mac, including terraservers via fiberchannel.