PowerMac line... is that it for the next 6 months?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Floop, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Floop macrumors regular

Hi!

I have been looking forward to purchasing a PowerMac G5, and am now about ready to go for it... however apart from the new single 1.8GHZ G5 introduced today, it has been 3 or 4 months since the last major refresh.

My question is, with the introduction of this model today, do you think that

a) we will see no further real updates to the PowerMac line until January

b) we will see no further real updates to the PowerMac line until March/April

c) when the next real update to the PowerMac line occurs, the low-end will only include a single chip

Decisions decisions. I want one of these, but figure it's always best to purchase right after new models are announced to ensure bang-for-buck in terms of value and lifetime... and the single 1.8GHZ announced today is too crippled for my liking!

Floop

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

the single 1.8 is designed to replace the PMG4 that got retired recently. as a student, it costs me some 1250 for it when it has a combo drive. January's event is a consumer show, and IBM still hasn't stabilized yields, which probably means that we won't see an update then. Perhaps at one of the trade shows in February or thereabouts. Apple seems to be leaning more on trade shows nowadays.

3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

The Dual 2.5Ghz model still has a 3-4 week wait according to the Apple store.
    So there is no way they are going to be able to introduce a faster model if they can't fill current orders.

Go ahead and buy one, they earliest that they would introduce a new model would be in June of 2005, and even then the fastest machines won't be faster than 3Ghz (I am betting on 2.8Ghz).

Even Intel is having problems with chips above 3.6Ghz and the fastest AMD chip runs at 2.6Ghz (and it is benchmarked to be faster than Intel's offerings).

4. freiheit macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine any problem with buying a current model G5 (even a dual 1.8GHz or 2GHz) unless you absolutely, positively MUST have the top-of-the-line... in which case you'd better have a really good sugar daddy when it comes to top-end Macs because you'll need a dual 2.5GHz now and then the 2.8GHz (or whatever) 5-8 months from now and then...

Considering I recently bought a dual 1.25GHz G4 and it runs really, really well with Panther (OSX 10.3.5 currently), a dual 2GHz G5 ought to totally smoke it when running any programs.

So unless you have that need (and the sugar daddy) to always have the top-of-the-line, it doesn't matter if they release new models in January, in March, or in June. Just about any G5 system should be plenty enough for the next couple of years.