PowerMac MDD: can't install OS 9???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Rower_CPU, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Here's a weird one...

I'm trying to install OS 9 on my dual 1GHz DDR at work and it's giving me hell. Here's the scenario:

I already have 10.2.2 installed on the primary (ATA100) drive. I have a 2nd HD on the ATA66 channel partitioned for documents and OS 9. I have tried 2 different OS 9 install CDs, one that came with the machine and one that came with a Quicksilver...both give me an error message whenever I try to run the install program when I'm booted from the CD: "Can't install on this machine. See documentation for details" or something pretty close.

Documentation is nonexistant or unhelpful. Any ideas?

2. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Did the MDD come with OS 9 discs???

Try this:

Copy the system folder and the apps folder from OS 9 to where you want them to be located. Then download and install the the 9.1 and/or 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updates from Classic in OS X, you'll then have a bootable version of OS 9. I'm pretty sure you have to install all the updates before it will boot correctly. The updates will fix whatever is missing because you didnt really install the OS.

I did this on a tibook when the OS 9 cd was scratched adn wouldnt fully install. It worked for me no problem. The tibook had classic and a bootable OS 9

3. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yes, it came with the OS 9 disc. I said I tried installing from it.

I'll try copying from another machine, but I doubt it will work...

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

From what I've read, the fan will continue to run when you use OS 9, wearing out the fan, thus, heating up your windtunnel PowerMac. So OS 9 may not be compatible with the PowerMac and does not install, as a precautionary measure.

I'm not too sure about the situation, but I do know that using OS 9 will result in an ongoing fan usage.

5. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The recent firmware update 4.4.8 was supposed to address that issue. I'm pretty sure it's not that.

I was able to get an OS 9 system copied onto the partition from another machine. Classic was all I needed...but still a weird error message.