powermac MDD Fans going CRAZY

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Macmadant, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

today i turned on my powermac and throughout the day they have been randaomly going into full blastmode then back to normal, the other day i downloaded a firmware update but i think mine was up to date and the one that comes with the computer would this make a difference, also is there any way i can set processer performance to reduced or higher like on my ibook thanks

2. ybakos macrumors member

Hope it's ok...

My G5 started doing that and it took me three months to get a replacement. Hope everything goes ok with yours. I would take it to the apple store or compusa immediately.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon a PRAM reset might be a good place to start. Not sure if it'll do anything though. :eek:

4. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Oh. I thought you were talking about the fans, as in followers of, going crazy for the Powermac MDD. That would have been sad. Anyways.

Ok, now I will try to help. Did you replace your power supply back when Apple was offering a replacement plan? I did, and it dramatically improved my system performance. The were quieter and less "hair dryer" like. Your problem may also be software related, but I don't know eneough to tell you anything there.

5. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

From Macmadant's location, it looks like he is in England. Do they have CompUSA's there?

Anyways, I am guessing the warranty has already run out on this machine, right?

6. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah your right, the warrenty has run out, sorry if i caused any confusion but the powermac i was referring to was my other powermac which is a single 1.25ghz one, and not my duel 1.42ghz thats acting as our media centre, any way i reset the PRAM and i think it's working bu i'm not sure, will check again and feedback, thanks