Powermac MDD G4 wont sleep!!!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by poolin1243, Feb 3, 2006.

1. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

hey all...

i cant figure this out, but my powermac wont go to sleep. Well...it will...but then as soon as it spools down it starts back up again. What gives???

2. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. robo74 macrumors 6502

I had that same issue, turns out it was my SCSI card..But I know not everyone runs those.

Rob

4. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

no scsi card i can think of....i removed the NIC i installed the other day (didnt end up working) and deleted the library file of it...so i dont know what is going on.

5. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

ive done an erase and install of the os...still no solution...can anybody help??

6. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

k...now heres what happens. The ACD will turn off when i go to apple>sleep. But the computer will keep running. It is unresponsive to keyboard hits, or mouse clicks, or even pressing the power button. I have to hold down the power button to turn it off.

Any help would be appreciated....i havent seen anything on other message boards about this!

7. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok...now i tried this

i took out my adaptec duoUSB/Firewire PCI card that i have installed. The card works fine, fyi. This fixed the sleep problem!? so what gives?? its 199 bucks to call adaptec i think...so anybody have an idea...? The card says right on the box that it supports OSX

8. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Ah... I have the same exact issue, except with my Mac mini. I tried reinstalling Tiger and it worked, yet as soon as I upgraded back up to 10.4.4 the issue came back. It must just be a bug in 10.4.4.:(

9. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

well im up to 10.4.4 and completely up to date...even when i had the card in when the computer first started to 10.4.1 it didnt work....

what gives with this...driver?

10. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Not sure.... I'm clueless at this point. I've tried resetting the PMU, PRAM, running disc utilities, reinstalling Tiger, and some funky **** in Terminal. As of now I'm hoping it's a bug in 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 will be out soon.:rolleyes:

11. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

well only thing is that it is impossible that we have the same issue....youre on a mini...im on a powermac...you dont have PCI slots...and i do...so ...im not sure our thoughts are related here.

12. Oblivious macrumors 6502

True enough... but I actually just managed to fix the issue by resetting the PRAM. Hopefully you'll have the same luck.;)

13. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

14. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Well, I have the same issue with my MDD Powermac. I have a macally 4port USB card in one of my PCI slots and the sleep issue is the same. Put it to sleep, the fans still run and it won't wake up. I have to do a hard restart if I get into this situation.

If you head over to xlr8yourmac.com, they have well documented this issue with MDD Powermacs (and other G4 powermacs). PCI card makers and the chipset makers say it's Apple's problem, Apple insists it's their problem. Then there's us, stuck in the middle of this war and neither side is going to solve the problem.

So my best advice and only work around (that I found) is really annoying. The card must not have anything plugged into it that doesn't have it's own power source (i.e. - a printer is ok, but an iPod is not). That goes for the cord as well. If I leave my iPod USB sync cord in the card when I put it to sleep, I have a hard restart on my hands. Printers and scanners seem to be ok, but that's about it (again, in my experience). If I remember to take out all of my unpowered cords, then the Powermac sleeps like a baby. If I don't, it's a dead duck with spinning fans.

Let me know it that helped at all. I probably went through 3 or 4 months of this hell until I figured out a solution.

15. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm interesting...ill try that.

theres a power supply connector on this card. say i plug this connector in somehow...would that fix it..or could i fry something?

16. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

honestly... I don't know. I just made sure the USB card was secure in the PCI slot and shut the door.

17. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow that is crazy-

this is quite a huge problem...i wonder if the USB 2.0 card they have in the apple stores now have that issue with my MDD?

18. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I dunno. But I won't count on what Apple tells you. Check the specs of the card from the manufacturer. And the card I have says that it does go into deep sleep. Only they don't tell you about the whole "if something is connected to it, it won't go into deep sleep". So, just heads up when you're thinking about switching out cards.

I really haven't found a definitive answer on all of this. I was alone in this battle for months. That's why when you described your problem, I had to speak up about it. I know the pain. :)

19. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

well today im going to try to get somebody over at adaptec to do some talking

20. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Had the same problem with my MDD. I finally have a card that supports deep sleep except when certain things are plugged into it. Worst yet the USB card does not supply power in the sleep mode so there is no recharging an ipod when the computer is sleeping and worst yet USB thumb drives are disconnected without being unmounted if the MDD goes to sleep. I wish apple would make a replacement PCI usb board that works.

21. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I had this same problem with my Quicksilver, and tracked it down to the Energy Saver Pref pane. I unchecked the "wake up for remote admin" and "wake up for modem" boxes, and made sure I unchecked the "put hard drive to sleep whenever possible" box. This has cleared up my issue. Now the computer will go to sleep when I set it to (when not in use for two hours) and when I select the sleep command from the apple menu.

See if this helps any of you guys out.

22. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

what card that works are you referring to passante??

23. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just as an update...i got this back from adaptec email today, basically saying screw you, your problem.

Greetings from Adaptec,

There are some sleep issues with Adaptec usb line of cards in MAC OS X.
    Currently there are no fix. Typically we have seen that if a usb device
    is connected to the Adaptec card sometimes the system will either not
    go into sleep mode or the system will not wake from sleep.

In these cases, we recommend removing the usb device from the Adaptec card from the system before going into sleep. Since the problem seems to occur even if the usb device are disconnected, maybe a issue with the card in the latest MAC OS X 10.4.4. Currently no fix is available.

One thing to try would be to put the Adaptec card in another PCI slot
    and see if that resolves the issue.

Thank you, Best Regards,

Adaptec Tech Support

24. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Ah yes, I got an email like that too.

Apple says: No issue on our end, blame them.
    Card maker: No issue on our end, blame Apple.

Yeah, so we're screwed until we upgrade to a G5 or the up and coming intel PowerMac (or whatever they are going to call it....)

I guess you just have to find a system that works for you. I know, it sucks...