Powermac post-MWSF update soon? PM-RevA 1.8's in-stock anywhere?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zimtheinvader, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

    zimtheinvader

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    the capitol
    #1
    Hi,
    I had waited for MWSF to upgrade to a G5 Powermac, but seeing as there were no updates then, should I go for it now or wait a week or two? I really need a new mac by the begining of Feb, so are updates likely before then?
    I am currently eyeing a refurb-G5 2ghz dual if not..!

    Also, are there any places that have PM-RevA G5 1.8's in stock? How would that be as a slightly less expensive alternative to the 2.0 dual? (For FCPHD, CubaseSX3, ect.)

    Thanks!! :confused:
     
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #2
    If you are really in need of a Mac now, then I would go ahead and purchase. An update really wasn't expected at MWSF. Many have suggested March/April as a possible window for an update for the PowerMac G5. The refurb would be a good consideration since AppleCare would still be available. Either way you would have the enjoyment of your new Mac for 2 - 3 months. The update may not be all that much.
     
  3. zimtheinvader thread starter macrumors regular

    zimtheinvader

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    the capitol
    #3
    Excellent point, I could certainly use the increased capabilities! :) Purely out of curiousity, is there any speculation as to what the update would be? Thanks
     
  4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

    sjpetry

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2004
    Location:
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    #4

    Dual 3GHz. :D I hope.
     
  5. logical001 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2005
    #5
    See the Powermac G5 rev 3 thread.

    A few of us are hoping for an update there. I've seen enough to think that we will see an update in the next few months.

    If you really need a G5, a second-hand or demo 2GHZ could be a very good compromise and at least this way you won't be as wounded if you'd just bought a 2.5

    Best

    J
     
  6. zimtheinvader thread starter macrumors regular

    zimtheinvader

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    the capitol
    #6
    Cool, thank you for the info!! I think I'll try and buy some time for a week (Tuesday :) ) or two to see if anything new happens. I had also sold my older-gen ibook so maybe I'll replace that now and hold off on the PM until a little closer to Tiger!... [still not believing a G5 ibook will come until atleast fall/winter!! :rolleyes: ] Too bad the imac can't be toted&from to class!
     

Share This Page