Powermac Purchase

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dualburn001, Mar 23, 2002.

1. dualburn001 macrumors regular

Right now im deciding between buying the 733, 800, or 933 powermac. I do mostly photoshop and web design. Now I want your opinions on which should I get, where I should get it and how much ram to get?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Photoshop eats RAM for breakfast! OK, not really, but the more you give it, the happier it will be. Filters and renders take a painfully long time with less RAM.

As always, it comes down to how much you can spend. Buy as much computer as you can afford to. If you skimp now, you'll need to upgrade sooner.

Any reason the DP1G is not on your list? Photoshop is SMP aware and it could help you out...for a modest price increase over the 933

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

The Dual 1000MHz version is a little expensive.

Adobe Photoshop does very well with large quantities of RAM and a G4. Dual processors also work well. Why not get a dual 800MHz?

It does not take a genius to figure it out . . . just someone who uses a Mac.

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Best Purchase

(I might be doing this purchase soon)

G4 733 or 800, 1.5GBfrom Apple or Memory To Go, GeForce 4 MX or Ti, Combo Drive, 60GB HD, and some other add-ons. The ONLY thing that will make the speed difference between the 933 and the 800 is the Cache. The 933 has 2MB L3 w/256k L2, and the 800/733 only has 256k L2.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, since dual asked about the 933, which is *only* $600 or so cheaper, I just suggested it. The older duals are good machines too. In fact, I've heard that general machine performance under X is almost the same across the whole dual line.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Best Purchase

Apple's RAM prices are pretty high. You could save a lot by going 3rd party...

Nice avatar BTW. I know I'm late, but I've been gone the last few days...

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: Best Purchase

Hehe, thanks! Yea, MemoryToGo has great prices. Or, go to www.macsurfer.com to get the prices of the day for mac memory.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

I wrote about this before, but my father likes to purchase his computer memory from www.18004memory.com and has never had a problem. The memory there is as cheap as it gets.

To respond to Rower_CPU, true. Any dual processor PowerMac works well under OS X. So, actually, if money is a rather large issue, then you might want to get the dual half gigahertz PowerMacs.

It does not take a genius to figure it out . . . just someone who uses a Mac.

9. dualburn001 thread starter macrumors regular

ight well I would love to get a dual 800, but I would need one without a superdrive because i dont do video stuff, and about price I need a system under 2 grand. I don't need the ti card, the ati or 4mx would be fine.

thanks for the help so far

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

or look on ebay for a cheaper dual 450 or 500
    they still rock and you have enough cash to buy a 22 inch screen

11. dualburn001 thread starter macrumors regular

i dont need a 22 inch screen

i use a sony 24 inch CRT:D :D :D

12. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

thats cool then go get a dual 800 then

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Dual 800s are around 21-2200 still. I think you should watch Apple Special Savings Store, because a few days ago, there was an 867 G4 w/Superdrive for 1799

14. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

L3 cache important

whatever you buy make sure its the unit with the L3 2 meg cache and full ram. Thats a must no if's ands or but's.